• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Bruce Miller, Longtime RS & TLCA Member, passes

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel, would like to also express my condolences. I too enjoyed the Miller family-led runs that I participated in. Many thanks for all those memories, and prayers from my Miller family to yours.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
This is said to hear, and I am sorry for your loss. My enthusiasm for offroading and exploring places seldom seen was started with the Bruce led runs in Ouray and the Triple Bypass events for many years. Take care.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My condolences to Nathanial and the entire Miller family. I've heard so many kind words and stories of Bruce in my time around but I never got a chance to meet the man. Despite never meeting Bruce, I still learned so much of his legacy in Rising Sun as it's been re-told by his friends over the years with an undulling enthusiasm and fondness, I think that's a mark of a great one.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Did someone say a miller trip with Dutch ovens?

Attachments

• IMG_1096_1.jpg
    IMG_1096_1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 110

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
If barb and Bruce were involved it was always a well attended run

Attachments

• DSC04247.JPG
    DSC04247.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 100
  • Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Bruce always stressed the importance of maintance, over mods. In fact, he would have preferred to wheel with a stock truck that's been well maintained piloted by a sane driver, over a tricked-out beast with a loose nut any day. If you dig back to see any of the runs he set up, you'll likely see reference to good maintenace as paramount.

I can't seem to lead many trails around the Silverton/Ouray area without mentioning Bruce, who led me on them my first time. The Alpine Loop and the classic Black Bear/Imogene among the favorites. I'll never forget heading up lower Engineer one morning (Mineral, to some of you) and the hunting stories were for some reason dominating the air waves... but given that every 3rd truck had kids under 5, the vocabulary was swapped to gummy bears, jelly beans, licorice, all in search of the big candy machines, instead of blood, guns, etc. I don't know when I've laughed that hard, we were literally crying hearing Red Chili talk about following gumball trails, hitting a candy machine, then chasing a trail of red licorice. better story for a camp fire perhaps, but just one of the runs Bruce led that I'll never forget. :camping:

The other huge thing I don't belive anyone has mentioned yet here is how in 2007 Bruce basically single handedly introduced this club to ham radio. I for one didn't even know that was an option at the time.. but after experiencing a trail run was immediately hooked. @Groucho led our club's first training session that year, followed by another, by 2008 half the club had licenses and rigs and most of us today still won't shut up about how great it is. I can't think of a bigger leave behind. so 73 to you Elmer, I'll forever remember WODW.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yes, the great Hamification, I was in that batch also. In fact I still remember coming back from Ouray hearing Him and Barb going on and on about stuff, some hilarious... some kind of embarrassing. He was indeed an Elmer. Glad Nathaniel was able to carry that torch, as well as many of the Ham's in the club

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
How about when he would go up.early and find a great camp spot and raise the antenna on his camper and listen for everyone to call out so he and barb could lead us into camp by ham

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I think I remember a ghost town run a long time ago and there was a guy there with a lot of Dutch ovens handing out food like it was free - it just had to be Bruce. And there were Ham radios, and some whiskey, I think.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I'm so sorry to hear this, Nathaniel. I have many fond memories of wheeling and Moab with Bruce and Barb.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I was part of that first Ham group too. My original call sign was KD0AJU until I changed it to W0RDY.

I brought my father-in-law down to Ouray one year on the annual run led by Bruce & Barb. We did Black Bear and Imogene that first day — simply one of my favorite days ever of wheeling. The next day was even more spectacular with Cinnamon Pass and Lake City.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Sorry to hear this. I always looked up to Bruce as a "senior' member of the club. My very first RS run was up Crystal Mtn west of Ft. Collins which Bruce led with his 60 or 62 WITH FRONT LOCKER - wow. he was very inspiring at the time watching him wheel and listening carefully when he spoke (very few words).

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
So sorry to hear this news Nathaniel. All the best to your family.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thank you all for the fond memories as well as many times we saw inspiration from Bruce (and Barbara).

I think it is always a testament to a person's impact by the things they leave us. A love of casually wheeling trails in the great outdoors. A bit of good etiquette, whether it is on the HAM radio or on the trail. Sharing delicious trail eats out of dutch ovens, soft spoken stories meant to inspire and inject just a bit of humor, and enjoying a cold "barley pop" as Bruce would call them with friends new and old, around a campfire somewhere with a photo worthy sunset in the background.

I take comfort to know that when my time comes, Bruce will have the campfire ready and be waiting for me to bring the "barley pop". I will make sure to bring the IPA, as it was his favorite.
FA0EEB6F-C3FF-4BF2-8FCB-5E3EF27BC6AA.jpeg
B7A3E6A2-E234-4D9D-BD5A-50FD4D68CD37_4_5005_c.jpeg
503DDFA4-90DE-49F2-86A0-F51D556BB2DB.jpeg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
A sad day yesterday, but also great seeing so many great faces. Paul May of Equipt Expedition Outfitters even made an appearance.

Barb, Nathaniel and Ross, please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you guys need anything.

So many great memories with this group.

Bruce Miller Funeral 1 2022.jpg

Left to right: Tim Nakari, Daniel Markofsky, Greg Luer, Paul May, Ige Gustafson, Perry Loughridge, Matt Farr, Kevin Ehrlich, Steve Crase, Bill Van Beek.

:beer::beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I am glad there was a great showing from the club and know that meant a lot to the Miller Family. I am sorry I was unable to join you

Crash

Rising Sun Member
The Miller family was appreciative of the Rising Sun representation yesterday. Many shared memories of 20-25 years ago out on the trail when all of us were cutting our teeth on what it is to be responsible off-roaders while having big fun, with Bruce and Barbara being shining examples for us all.
As a personal aside - I was NOT wearing purple pants! They were Navy blue!! :sneaky: