• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Bruce Miller, Longtime RS & TLCA Member, passes

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
After a several year battle with Parkinson's, Bruce Miller passed away at home in Brighton, Colorado on January 6th, 2022. He was 72 years old.

Bruce and his wife Barbara were always involved with Cruise Moab from the beginning, started the Triple Bypass club run, and took over the Ouray club run for several years. They also hosted the Rising Sun Christmas party at their house in Johnstown one year.

Bruce enjoyed being a member of the TLCA and Rising Sun. He had made many friendships and enjoyed doing club runs. Most of all, he enjoyed being out with folks at Cruise Moab, leading and gunning trails, as well as the raffle dinner. From their first run where Dave & Robin Hartman invited Bruce and Barbara to join them on Metal Masher, Bruce was hooked. He will be forever missed on the trail.

For anyone who would like to know funeral arrangements, please PM me, Bruce's son Nathaniel (aka Groucho).

The first picture shows Bruce kneeling down in the center (with the white shirt on) on the Triple Bypass and the second picture shows him sitting on the rocks overlooking Hell's Gate on Hell's Revenge in Moab.
Bruce 2 1.jpeg
Bruce 1.jpeg

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Deeply sorry for your loss, Barb, Nathaniel and Ross. Your folks, Groucho, were very instrumental in helping the Rising Sun Club become what it is today and I thank the Miller family for that. Among other things I'll never forget the Dutch oven cherry pie that was to be found at the Miller campsites wherever they were. Many fond memories of my early days becoming a wheeler with the Millers as leaders and I wish the family strength at this time.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I'm very sorry for your loss. Parkinsons is a horrible disease to deal with. I think I was at the Rising Sun meeting when Bruce Miller first attended. It was my first meeting and we were doing introductions. He had an impressive Cruiser collection way back then, it may have been around 1992? Please express my condolences to Barb.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So sorry for your loss guys.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Nathaniel, Barb and Ross, so sorry for your guys loss. Bruce was a wonderful person and so glad I got to know and wheel with him and you guys. One of my first big outings after joining the club was the Ouray Run with Bruce and Barb leading. So many fond memories.

My condolences to you guys😥

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
So sorry to hear about this. Ross updated me last year about Bruce's fight with Parkinson's. I have great memories of him, from his stories being a ham operator to Dutch oven desserts to that Christmas party in Johnstown (which was awesome). May he rest in peace. Hope Barb is doing OK. Condolences from me and Karie.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Oh man very sad news. So sorry for your loss. :( I will always carry fond memories of Bruce on runs. We’ll be thinking or you guys. I hope you guys are doing Ok

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Sorry for your loss, my condolences and thoughts your way.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I am very sorry for your loss. I count myself fortunate to have been on multiple runs with Bruce and got to know his wit, charm and sense of life

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Aw dang, I'm so sorry to hear. My deepest condolences to all of you. Like all the comments here, Bruce and Barb were on the scene when I stumbled upon Rising Sun so many years ago, and they did so much for the club and were always fun to be around. Please extend my condolences to Barb.

In recent years, I have been privileged to watch you @Groucho and Andrea grow Big Choice Brewing. I have been privileged to hear and observe how you all work together and support each other as a family. He will be missed.

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
I have been in contact with Barb and Nathaniel for the last couple of weeks. They have been very strong with what was to come for Bruce. He will be greatly missed. We shared many many a mile on the trail together. Both of us leading and gunning for each other for many years at Cruise Moab and other trips.

My first time with Bruce and Barb was the first Cruise Moab in '98. I remember folding t-shirts by there trailer for that inaugural event. I've been to every CM ever since. Wanted to wheel with them and many others. This wheelin' thing has grown for me so many lifelong friendships. All because of this Cruiser thing. Bruce and Barb had one of the best looking and driving cruiser collections I have ever seen. And then like Nathaniel mentioned the Triple Bypass began with Bruce's direction. He would call the bike shop in Gunnison to see how the snow was on those passes to see when we could go. And then his concentrated effort to lead the club to Ouray every year. All of these gatherings were because he wanted to take other wheelers' to these majestic places in Colorado. Thank you Bruce.

One of my favorite stories about Bruce and Barb come from one of the Elephant Hill trails I used to lead. My brother was along with me that year. Those of you who have done E-hill know this is a very late day trail when all goes well usually getting back to slickrock campground around 9pm. Knowing this I asked Barb a day earlier if could get in on her famous dutch oven dinners when we got back. Sure just get some more items to make the pot bigger. So as usual were getting back to moab when all the restaurants are closed except Wendy's. I drove past this with my brother getting upset wondering what was for dinner. Drove into Barb's camp just as the Dutch ovens were being checked. My brother cussed me out now knowing I had set this up. I smiled....Barb smiled......and Bruce, in true Bruce form said "you're late" and gave us both a beer. We ate like kings with a 4 course meal.

This simple thinking of the world is what I have enjoyed the most about Bruce. It doesn't have to be complicated. Barb you and Bruce raised a great family. You lived in many places from the results of your hard work with your company. Your contributions to and with the Rising Club will be hard to duplicate. I have enjoyed getting to know and wheel with your sons Nathaniel and Ross over all these years. Your family is a big part of the old generation of wheelers' I have gotten to know from the beginning of my wheeling career in this club from '98 until now.

Thank you, Greg Luer Cheeseman

Crash

Rising Sun Member
A simple “Like” doesn’t express my appreciation for your words Greg. Thank you for letting us know more about Bruce the man and his profound effect on early Rising Sun members. The club has deep roots planted by good people. Bad roads bring good people.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I didn't know the man but after reading all of these posts he sounds like a legend and part of the legacy of RS and what it is today. I hope he's enjoying the big trail in the sky, and my condolences to the family.

PhillyB77

I didn't know the man but after reading all of these posts he sounds like a legend and part of the legacy of RS and what it is today. I hope he's enjoying the big trail in the sky, and my condolences to the family.

This^^

Sorry for your loss. Seemed like a great person, wish I could have known him.

wesintl

RS Moderator
My condolences to the Miller family. I’m glad I got to go on a few runs with Bruce over the years. Like everyone else from ehill to the triple bypass. In ouray we got to take a cruise in the kzj95 and chat. I got back into Dutch oven cooking due to Bruce and Barb. One thing I always liked was his runs left promptly.

He’ll be missed but I’ll always think of him when I make the trip over pearl.

Last edited:

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I bought my engine-less '65 FJ45 from Bruce many years ago (2004-ish). He was a class act all the way. He even delivered the truck from New Mexico to Colo. Springs at no cost, and lent me some rare '63 doors to possibly use for parts until such time as I found the parts I needed. Another quality Rising Sun member, the sort that makes this club great.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Ahh man Nathaniel
So sorry for you and your family

I came around later than your Dad and larger family but got to know you later

Sorry is all I can say.

Losing a Dad is really hard

Praying for you and your family

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Bruce and Barb Ghost Town Run 2006 and some other young folks :)

I also remember the Ouray trips we went on with them. Each trip with them was better than the last
1641706239469.png

Ghost Town Run 2006 005.jpg
Ghost Town Run 2006 038.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
There are people who you meet who change your course in life. I owe so much to Bruce's enthusiasm and inspiration. Wouldn't be a ham if it wasn't for W0DW being an Elmer. The first Triple Bypass is what brought Dean, Natalie, Kirsten and me into the same orbit. Their Christmas party was nothing less than a big family get together, we'll never forget that.

Like Wes says, runs he led were squared away. I remember him keeping Triple moving but without it ever seeming like it was rushed. He just knew when we had to be driving and when we could be stopped looking around.

Right now I can just imagine St. Peter is getting an elbow in the rib, "So when ya gonna take that upgrade test?" Rest in peace, Bruce.

Last edited: