Broomfield emissions center sucks

RYAN

Rock Stacker
I just got my dream cruiser a few weeks ago and decided to bring it in and get my emissions tested. I had a feeling it would fail and it did. the first time I showed up the tech said it would fail due to having a squeaky belt. I asked how it would fail and he told me that he would fail it during a visual inspection. He then told me the 33's are to big. I knew he was full of crap since I had a coworker go there a few days prior and he's rolling on 35's. So I left and came back the next day. I didn't see that first tech and proceeded to test. The new tech then ran the test 3 times in a row with out stopping. I tried to tell him to stop because they left the fan way out in front, More than a 45 degrees angle from the front of the cruiser. He wouldn't look at the room I was waiting in. I went out and flagged a lady walking by and asked if she could put the fan closer to the front. As she started to walk over towards the cruiser I heard a pop and then it started to pee anti freeze every where. They ended the test and told me I failed. NO $HIT. I am almost done with all my needed repairs so I can retest and at least get a baseline to go off of. Where have you guys gone?

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
Ryan I went to the emissions test center upp off highway 52, there was no wait and it gave me a chance to run it hard up i25 before I got there.

Make sure when you pull in you have the pwr button already in and turn the overdrive off.

If you blew a hose you may have other issues. The fan helps yes, but I would think that if your cooling system was up to par, it should have been fine.

I don't think they will test with 35's. You will want to go-to the Sheridan testing center if you don't have smaller wheels to put on.

RYAN

Rock Stacker
I didn't blow a hose. The radiator had a super small but long crack right at the seam on the top. Right now I have 33's. It kinda sucks that they couldn't give me any readings from the first 2 fails in a row. I flushed the cooling system and didn't see anything that looks concerning. I am replacing the thermostat, radiator, temp sensor all the belts and the pulleys. When I was removing the thermostat I dropped a bolt into the housing that then fell into the block. Scared the crap out of me. After draining the cooling system I was able to get it out with a magnet. I might need to try that center as the Broomfield one is only 2 miles from my job. I was told my nox and co where high but I am not sure on the exact numbers.

RYAN

Rock Stacker
I also broke the bsvs# 2582013020 off the thermostat housing.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Like ccslider said, I would only go to the Sheridan station for any testing even if you only have 33's. I run 315's on my rig and they are the only ones that can do it with no issues in full time 4wd. Unfortunately the techs at all of the Air Care testing centers only make about 11 bucks an hour to start which is less than the burger cooks at the Good Times down the street from my house, so most of them are not that inclined when it comes to testing most all vehicles especially 80 series Land Cruisers. I am not trying to diminish any hard working American or their efforts to try and better themselves but these guys really don't know squat. The techs in Ft. Collins failed me because they said my oil pressure gauge was going too high during acceleration which is funny because in the owners manual it states specifically that's exactly what the oil pressure gauge is supposed to do but the tech knew better and still failed my truck. I told him to pound sand.

What year is your 80? Because if you have a 95 or newer, any station should be able to do an OBDII scan without having to run it on rollers if you have over sized tires. If you have a 92 through 94 you have to run the roller gauntlet regardless of tire size.

Post up your numbers when you retest, good luck!

RYAN

Rock Stacker
Thanks RayRay27. I have a 92, and I will most definitely have to post my numbers and probably pick your brains.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
@RYAN, I hate to say it but you're probably going to have a really difficult time getting your truck to pass on 33's. I also have a 92 and the poor 3fe just doesn't have enough power to roll those bigger-than-stock tires the way they do during the testing. In an effort to try and pass I addressed the following:
- both cats
- spark plugs
- spark plug wires
- timing
- fresh oil
- the old HEET trick (3 bottles in the tank)
- ran it super hard before getting to the station

After 2 consecutive failures I was able to be seen by the state technical inspection guys and they put my truck on rollers and performed full diagnostics. He said the motor was running great but it just didn't have enough umph to get my big 315/70's turning through the test sequence. So after showing him the money I had spent, he signed a waiver for me to finally get my tags.

If you don't know the status of your engine then it will be a good thing to go ahead and do a tune up on it anyways. After that, see if you can find a set of wheels that have smaller-than-stock tires on them and put those on for the test. That will make it easier for the motor and it won't have to work so hard to get through the test sequence.

RYAN

Rock Stacker
@Stuckininthe80s Thanks for the heads up about tire size. I didn't realize that would effect the emissions testing, but it makes sense. I was thinking about doing the heet trick. I guess I need to buy tires now. :cry:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
@Stuckininthe80s Thanks for the heads up about tire size. I didn't realize that would effect the emissions testing, but it makes sense. I was thinking about doing the heet trick. I guess I need to buy tires now. :cry:
Yeah, the combination of the weak engine and the shift pattern of that big automatic makes the engine work super hard to keep the tires spinning. The ECU compensates by sending more fuel because it senses the load. That heavy dosage of fuel puts out a lot of the bad stuff and makes it almost impossible to pass.

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
I have a set of 4Runner wheels (6 x5.5 inch bolt diameter) with tires (size 265/70/16) that can be borrowed for emission testing. I am not sure that will work on the cruisers, but maybe it is a possible option to help get through the test without as much grief.

RYAN

Rock Stacker
I have a set of 4Runner wheels (6 x5.5 inch bolt diameter) with tires (size 265/70/16) that can be borrowed for emission testing. I am not sure that will work on the cruisers, but maybe it is a possible option to help get through the test without as much grief.
Thank you Pro Designer. I do appreciate the offer. Once I get a few more repairs done I will try again at a different location and go from there.

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
I hate to be a dick..

I went to renew my plates on my 97 and the lady said I was due for emissions, Doh!! I didn't pay attention to that. Immediately I began to sweat about the thought of I can pass or not. I changed my exhaust since last time, I now have 315/75/16 tires which means they will turn you away..

I said screw it I'm going to play dumb. I raced up i25 to the dacono air care, I made sure to have pwr button in and the AC blasting to get the engine really nice and warm. I pulled in and there was only a Jeep Wrangler waiting in one of the two open bays. I pulled right up and began to get some looks from the guys there.

I asked if I could run in 2wd because I converted the truck. The guy called the manager over and said that the truck has to be ran awd because that's how it was designed. So I just left it in 2wd and said nothing. By this time 3 other air care people are over checking the truck out, admiring the skeleton that I left on from the past years spooky run. There's another guy asking if I ever had water over the windshield because I have a snorkel. Haha

The manager is in the driver seat trying to find the obd2 connector. I offered help because I moved it so u can have my Bluetooth adapter always plugged in. Then I tell him the steering wheel is not perfectly straight so when he's driving it to know that.

Then it happens, "oh I'm not going to drive it because your tires are too big, we're just going to connect to the computer and test the gas cap.

Wow I was happy about that!!!!! No anxiety waiting in the little room.

Attachments

• IMG_20190712_142928.jpg
    IMG_20190712_142928.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20190712_143231.jpg
    IMG_20190712_143231.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 171

J1000

Rising Sun Member
That really sucks about the dumb techs. I've had good luck at the Boulder test station with my modified vehicles and that's in your neck of the woods.