Broken Idler Gear Tooth

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Well, I'm wondering if I may have found one of my problems. When I traveled to and from the club meeting Wednesday night I noticed a bad knocking sound in the drive train. We were guessing it might be the transmission. I thought it might be the t-case input gear. So I drained the tranny & transfer case and I took off the rear cone. The t-case input gear had not moved. It was fine. Then I pulled the side cover off the t-case and found a broken tooth on my idler gear in my Orion. Do you suppose this could be causing my knock? Anyone have a spare t-case? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• broken tooth.JPG
    broken tooth.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 183
  • broken tooth 2.JPG
    broken tooth 2.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 166

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I have a spare 3 speed case, but it's not an Orion. Let me know if you need it. I thought Orions came with their special idler to fit the low gear on the output?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
They do. This Orion came with the idler gear already installed. Is your 3-speed in good shape or should I rebuild it? I think Timmbuck2 has a couple and he lives a little closer to me. I have a PM in to him.

wesintl

RS Moderator
what was the screeching sound pulling out? brakes dragging?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
what was the screeching sound pulling out? brakes dragging?

No. That may be the wheel bearings are loose. I need to check that, too. :rolleyes:

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Thats a good place to start Chris. How was the bearings at this point? if they are loose, with the chipped tooth, it could create the feeling we were getting.
I think his bearing are loose on the passenger side, only squeels like then when you turn a right hand turn. If not bearings a flexy rim that is getting close to something.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Chris, that almost has to be a manufacturing defect? How could the tooth break unless foreign matter entered the case?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Thats a good place to start Chris. How was the bearings at this point? if they are loose, with the chipped tooth, it could create the feeling we were getting.
I think his bearing are loose on the passenger side, only squeels like then when you turn a right hand turn. If not bearings a flexy rim that is getting close to something.

I haven't checked that yet, Robbie. I will.

Chris, that almost has to be a manufacturing defect? How could the tooth break unless foreign matter entered the case?

Foreign matter is always a possibility. :eek: I rebuilt this t-case several times trying to get the bearing pre-load right. I suppose if I had a bar jammed in there while wrenching on it, I could have buggered it up. But I thought a gear would be tough enough for that. :rant:

Meanwhile I'm going to look for a substitute t-case. :D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Bars have many a young man ruined. :lmao:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Call Advance and order a new idler. You are going to have a lot more work swapping in another t-case.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I've seen the gears in my case break off like that when the idler bearings went bad and cocked the gears putting stress on the teeth til some broke off.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
If anyone wants to come watch or help or drink beer, come on by. I will be pulling my Orion and, hopefully, rebuilding it and re-installing it. PM me if you need directions. :D

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Found the culprit. :( Why would a thrust washer do that? It's number 25 in the schematic below. It munched 3 other teeth besides the first one. :eek:

Attachments

• broken tooth 3.JPG
    broken tooth 3.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 070A1.gif
    070A1.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 158

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
They do. This Orion came with the idler gear already installed. Is your 3-speed in good shape or should I rebuild it? I think Timmbuck2 has a couple and he lives a little closer to me. I have a PM in to him.

No idea on internal condition - I bought it from the same guy that gave me the driveshafts. It's still attached to the 3 speed tranny and is pretty grimy on the outside.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
No idea on internal condition - I bought it from the same guy that gave me the driveshafts. It's still attached to the 3 speed tranny and is pretty grimy on the outside.

Thanks anyway, Jeff. Timm was kind enough to lend me one. Just picked it up this morning. :D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Weird, you have two #25 washers in that drawing... Guess they are the same part no.?

I had a Bultaco once that munched one of the thrust washers on the small end of the con rod. Wasn't pretty. I learned how to split cases that spring. Only took me three times to get it to seal again. :lmao: