• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Broke the Budbuilt

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
After two faithful years of service my bud built xcase skid finally gave up the ghost. I've gotta say, i'm impressed with the beating this thing has taken. Highly recomeneded product.

The pics are hard to see, but basically the plate folded just behind the xmember, and is now pinned against the case. This means that anytime the drivetrain is under load, it makes a horrific noise and the whole truck vibrates. Yeah. Sucky.

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

Not sure what i'm going to do now. Been thinking of lifting the guts, but that is a lot of work that i don't want to do right now. Perhaps the timetable has moved up eh?

Atleast you won't have to order a new one for drivetrain lift :D . I've heard of a few budbuilts doing that. I used to have one and plan on ordering another one but when I do Im going to gusset it at the bends and reinfoce the stock mounts. Good work.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
remove it, and bring it over. we can straighten it, the run some hardfacing rod like a bull dozer blade has.

:cool:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
may take you up on that.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I managed to bend my Front Range Offroad crossmember after a few years. Brian replaced it gratis. I paid shipping. Can't beat that. :bowdown:

I *did* weld some 3.8 to span the point where he had had to cut it out for the stock e-brake though. Since I don't have a stock ebrake, why not?:smokin:

I also lined my skid plate (that is the skid plate shown, ain't it?) with neoprene. Of course my skid plate only vaguely resembles its original shape.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
remove it, and bring it over. we can straighten it, the run some hardfacing rod like a bull dozer blade has.

:cool:

Do you have a press?

Put the entire weight of the truck on it, as well as a 4lb sledge. Bent back under the weight of the truck, then came back to its bent form after weight was removed.

More serious tools are needed. :)

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I have a press, and lots of heat.

The trick is to heat it, bend it to form, then gradually cool.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If it were mine I'd take it off, rattle can it, then shim it down with washers. But I don't have that fancy press/heat stuff...

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Hmm...Well, i'm no expert, but was told elsewhere specifically NOT to heat it, as it would weaken it more. Metulurgy seems to be magic. If we cool it slowly, it retains its strength?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Looks like it could use a bit of bracing on the sides to triangulate and prevent future bending. Agreed, GM won't steer you wrong. Metal is metal. The boy knows metal.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Sweet. Thanks GM, i'll be in touch about getting this pile done!

Beater

Hard Core 4+
heat treating is not majic, but it is in the cooling. google it, there is plenty of information out there. buy some "hard-facing" rod before you come over, small pack, 1/8th or bigger.

and schedule with me 3-4 days in advance. evenings are ok too.

Last edited:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Fixed.

Cut it with a torch from both ends until only about 2 in remained in the middle. Heated, bent, rewelded.

Reinforced.

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg