brake question

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Hey all you 40 guys...'77 FJ40 - when I press the brake pedal I get a whooshing sound like air being pressed out of a diaphram. After the pedal goes down a little ways then the brakes engage and the old girl stops. If I repeatedly press the brakes then there is less whooshing and more brake engagement. Is this a sign of master cylinder blowby? After the brakes engage, the pedal elevation holds steady, it doesn't drop to the floor.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Good and bad news.....

Good news...it's not your master cyl! :thumb:

Bad news....your brake vacuum booster is toast :(

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
upgrade to an fj60 booster. max is parting one out...see howmuch he wants. it's bolt up, albeit upside down, but that doesn't affect performance and you've a much better chance of finding a good fj60 booster than a good 40 booster

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Don't run too long that way. Even though you may have brakes, the leaking booster makes the #6 run really really lean. Worst case...you will burn a hole through the piston :(

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay, thanks for the quick responses ever'body. So will a minitruck booster work okay as well? I have a BUNCH of credit at the Yota Yard from my stupid minitruck MAF/ECU screwup last year and have nothing to spend it on.

Hijack: Maybe somebody who needs minitruck parts could hook up with me this summer and help me use that credit...

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
pick up all the parts needed for a disc brake swap and sell it as a package deal on the eBay....