• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Brake Booster Issues...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Howdy Everyone-

Well, drove around 150 miles in the cruiser today, with a short run up into the mountains, coming down I had to hit my brakes a bit to allow a faster vehicle by, when I did my truck darted side to side... this was new, but I am not sure if it is related.

After driving to the airport and back about an hour and half, my brake pedal was getting a bit stiff but still slowing the 40 down.

By the time I got home today, I was needing to downshift to scrub speed and the pedal was stiff as a board. I was having to stand on it to get it to stop. I also had a bit of fluid coming out of the front cap when I got home... the cap is pretty dry rotted and loose though.

I am thinking it has to be in the booster? Fluid is good, pads are good, these are disks.

What do I start to look for with the booster? How do I check it for proper function?

Thanks-

Drew

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Drew,
It sounds more like you have a sticking disc brake caliper. When you stepped on the brake and it "darted" it sounds like one caliper hung for a milisecond then suddenly grabbed the rotor. Your brakes got harder because that same caliper was dragging on the rotor and got really hot, thus heating the fluid (which expanded). I bet tomorrow when you drive it around the peddle will feel more normal again but if you feel the front wheels after you drive it a bit I bet one will be very hot.