Boulder Ranger district meeting this Thursday 10/27

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Come support your land use coordinator... and your hobby. On the agenda is "what happened to Gillespie Gulch?" See item 8 below.

All, The October meeting will be the 27th at 5:00pm at the Boulder Ranger District Office, 2140 Yarmouth Ave, Boulder, 303-541-2500. Below is the agenda for the meeting.
------------------------
Mission/Direction:
To coordinate and implement volunteer projects on the Boulder Ranger District related to the maintenance of OHV recreation.
Education - Restoration - Information
Test for projects: is it signing? erosion control? restoration?
keeping the public on the route? education? re-establishing closures of previous decisions?
------------------------
Agenda:
1) Schedule Next Meeting - All

2) 2005 grant proposals - All
Rainbow Lakes grant status (Paul).
319 Grant status (Colleen)

3) 4WD Road Signing project - Adam
Adopt-A-Road agreement for Miller Rock.

4) Rocky Mountain OHV Patrol - Valerie
Status on training and roads patrolled, issues.

5) Lefthand Travel Planning update - Brian/Cat
Update on Lefthand Travel EA progress (Cat).

6) Yankee Doodle Lake - Bill/Roz
Status on Jenny Creek road and restoration project.

7) Restoration Projects - Roz
Proposals of Park Creek, Bald Mountain description of work for
Categorical Exclusion.

8) Gillespie Gulch - Colleen/Greg
Road was bladed, no communication with Trailridge Runners, the
adoptive club. Contractor handled by Susan Lane out of Clear Creek
Ranger District.

Any new issues or concerns to work on, or Forest Service projects related to Boulder Ranger District motorized recreation. - All

Boulder Ranger District projects list are online at
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/projects/
---------------------------------------------
Update in Fall 2005:
1) Sugarloaf Single Track
2) BRD Transportation Inventory Grant
---------------------------------------------
Last Meeting:
2) Continue to work 2005 grant proposals - All
Paul Grobe (Hillbillies) to work with Cat (USFS) on details of Rainbow Lakes campground trailhead relocation and improvement grant. Paul to sent out an email to our list to solicit support letters. Colleen Williams researching a 319 Grant for sediment control in Lefthand area. This will require matching funds and support letters.

3) 4WD Road Signing project - Adam
Moon Gulch signed, Jumbo Mountain blocked by private property.

4) Rocky Mountain OHV Patrol - Valerie
Issue on Coney Creek Cutoff to be reviewed by Trailridge Runners Oct 2. Carnage Canyon in Lefthand has been patrolled. Chaffee County has had volunteers trained for OHV Patrol. Valerie has 46 volunteers trained in all motorized types.

5) Lefthand Travel Planning update - Brian/Cat
Lefthand II project had 80 volunteers. Materials hauled up to area east of meadow restoration. Lefthand Travel EA has received 283 comment letters. Final Decision to be out mid to late October.

6) Yankee Doodle Lake - Bill/Roz
BRD Hydrologist to review area for bog project Sept 23. Rising Sun 4WD Club has $1500 to put into Jenny Creek restoration work. Signing project proposed as an initial project. Forest Leadership team proposal to move road out of Jenny Creek.

7) Restoration Projects - Roz
Bunce School Road to hold off until Fuels Treatment plan is finalized.

Adam Mehlberg 3jeeps@cohvco.org 3jeeps@frii.com
Trailridge Runners 4WD Club
Secretary

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
DOOD! So here I am, first thing, with the very email in my computer's clipboard set to copy/paste, and lo and behold the Nakman beats me to it..

I love this place!

See y'all there!!!! It's gonna be fun telling everyone we were more assertive on closing user created routes than even Ranger Kevin was comfortable with. Oh, the irony... We got a bunch done.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I should be able to make this one.

Bruce

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Sweet! Thanks, Bruce. You can see the new axle on the Chili- Bonus!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
It came up, too, as a major agenda item. It was caused by a combination of personality issues between an unnamed BRD officer and Willy the contractor. It was far worse than an impulsive bad day of being PO'd by Willy though; he worked on ruining that road for the better part of a week.

Willy will no longer be used by the BRD. It gets curiouser and curiouser though, because Brant Wobig has used Willy on numerous projects and been quite pleased. Oh well, now the BRD has a problem they must fix, costing more money yet.

Technically, the maintenance done was within Level 2 authority, though poorly executed and noncompliant. What came up in the meeting, proposed by a Sierra Club representative I might add, was the possibility of 4x4 clubs being engaged to restore obstacles and renew the trail's challenge in partnership even with the SC, the Jamestown Watershed project group (they are impacted by the runoff), and other groups.

It sounds like a most fine project to me, even though it chaps one OHV club that they might now be asked to help the USFS undo a major mistake - but when you consider the possibility of CREATING challenges that meet recreational values, block access to teen party groups (and resultant trash) in the meadow up top, and involve partnership among groups often seen as adversaries, I get pretty excited about it!!!!!

If this excites you too, why not send an email to Cat Luna at the Boulder Ranger District letting her know of your support? mailto:cluna@fs.fed.us