Boulder County Range District OHV Update & Monthly Meetings

Heritage40

Rising Sun Member
A Note from Jared Smith of the Boulder County Ranger District:

I wanted to reach out and let you know that we have not forgotten about you all! I did also want to pass along a few updates:

Matt Henry has been on a detail since March and Matt Cowan has taken a new job out of our Fort Collins office. As of right now, we do not have anyone else filling in behind either of those two positions and their workloads have been passed along to Jonathan, Angie and myself. So as you can imagine, my capacity to do just about anything is null and void, hence why you all have not heard from me this year.

The Forest Service is still taking precautions with regards to the COVID-19 pandemic and it has been decided that we will not activate our annual volunteer agreements with the clubs, for the time being. We are hopeful that this changes. With that said, if there are major repairs or concerns that we need to address on our adopted routes we do have the ability to host a project day or two with a small group of folks. We are planning on a project to open the MSV/Coney Flats roads on June 19th, pending snow. Do you all know of any other project worthy issues out on the landscape? Feel free to pass them along to me!

Other OHV news – we have opened a few motorized routes for the year including West Mag, Winiger, Ruby Gulch, Bunce 105 and Taylor Mtn. Our Fire crews are out on the Rollin-Mag roads as we speak trying to get that road network cut open. As I am certain you are all aware, we have above average snow depths remaining on our roads and has made, getting a few roads open on time, a challenge.

Monthly Meetings – I am hoping to do a virtual meeting on June 17th with you all, just to catch up and see how things are looking out there! Look for my meeting invite soon.

Thank you all for your continued patience and dedication!

Jared A. Smith
Developed & Dispersed Recreation Manager (COR)
USDA Forest Service
Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests &
Pawnee National Grassland
Boulder Ranger District
c: 970-214-4591
jared.a.smith@usda.gov
2140 Yarmouth Ave.
Boulder, CO 80301
www.fs.usda.gov/arp