Bill Moore Lake August 19

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
As I indicated in another thread on this forum, and also at the meeting last week, I will be leading a run up Bill Moore Lake on Saturday, August 19. This is timed to coincide with the Rally the following day.

Bill Moore Lake is a fairly easy trail that starts out just above the town of Empire and ends up at Bill Moore Lake right at timberline. It is a very scenic trail, and features some really spectacular views. It only takes about an hour and a half to go from the trailhead to the lake, so we can spend plenty of time hiking around the lake and enjoying the views.

While it is suitable to do in a stock Toyota 4x4, there is the possibility of some scratches from tree branches on some of the narrow sections in the woods. There is one optional steep hill climb near the beginning of the trail for those who want a bit of a challenge. Since this section is steep and narrow, we send someone around via the bypass, to the top to make sure no one is trying to drive down the hill while we are going up it; you don't want to have to back up or back down if you can avoid it.

We will meet at 10:00AM at the Burger King in Downieville, which is an exit from I-70. CB channel 4; if there is too much chatter from others using that channel, we will switch to channel 5 once we are on the trail. Bring lunch, plenty of water, warm clothing in case of inclement weather, sunscreen, and your camera. Pets must be on a leash.

Happy cruisin'!

BeatDown84FJ60

Rock Stacker
I'll be down for that run as long as I get a chance to get my timing checked and carb adjusted (not sure if its running quite right), but I can't promise anything.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I can check your timing; there aren't many carb adjustments: Idle speed, choke idle speed and idle mixture is all you get with a screwdriver. Anything else and you're having to change out jets.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
MARTIN said:
I'm definately in.
Righton. So far it looks like just the three of us...plus maybe a family I spoke with when I tagged their 60 with rally flier yesterday...

Attachments

• 2006_0730Image0076.JPG
    2006_0730Image0076.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 240

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
If more people don't sign on for Bill Moore Lake, is there a possiblilty of everyone doing Red Cone instead?

Maybe next year the rally should be held on Saturday with runs on Sunday. That way, there could be sign-ups for various trails at the rally for attendees to choose from. Just a thought, might get more interest that way.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
MARTIN said:
If more people don't sign on for Bill Moore Lake, is there a possiblilty of everyone doing Red Cone instead?
I will be leading Bill Moore one way or the other; this has been the plan for a long time - we wanted an easy run for stockers and newbies. Plus, it is absolutely beautiful up there and it's a much quicker run than Red Cone. Since the trailhead is so close to town, and the trail is relatively short, we can sleep in and still make it home in the afternoon.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Any interest in doing Mill Creek before/after Bill Moore?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Mill Creek is a loop that connects with the Bill Moore Lake Trail and Red Elephant Hill. I attached a couple of maps. Bill Moore is Blue, Mill Creek is Red, and Red Elephant is Purple. Mill Creek has some optional obstacles and a couple of stream crossings. Red Elephant Hill is supossed to be slightly more difficult, I've heard. Since Bill Moore is shorter, I thought an optional side trail might be fun. I guess it depends on who shows up and what they're driving. If it's just the 40's, shouldn't be a problem.

88800667-L.jpg

88800678-M.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Cool! I think we did part of that trail one year when we couldn't get all the way to Bill Moore due to too many drifts. I recall we went down that trail a ways, then it got into some woods and more deep drifts. We turned around and called it a day.

nelson

The girls and I may come...

Hey-

We were originally going to do the Red Cone trail but Richard has a friend coming into town and he and the friend are trying to decide if they want to get the 40 out and do something but not sure since it has no license is a monster on the road.

I would like to do something and Red Cone in the LX looks a bit intimidating to me. :) The girls (our 3 love to wheel) and I may want to do Bill Moore with you all. The LX is modified and we've gone many places with it already so it will do fine (no locker though). We've got the CB hooked up so we can get in touch with you at the rally point.

How far out of 70/470 interchange is the meeting spot so I can guage our eta?

I can message again tonight to give a definate yes or no.

Carrie

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hi Carrie,

I would estimate that the meeting point in Downieville is about 25 miles West on 70 from the 470 interchange.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
nelson said:
I would like to do something and Red Cone in the LX looks a bit intimidating to me. :) The girls (our 3 love to wheel) and I may want to do Bill Moore with you all. The LX is modified and we've gone many places with it already so it will do fine (no locker though). We've got the CB hooked up so we can get in touch with you at the rally point.

How far out of 70/470 interchange is the meeting spot so I can guage our eta?
Hi Carrie! We'd love to have you all along! I'd say Martin's guess is pretty close as to distance from I-70/C-470. The Downieville exit is a few miles farther west than Idaho Springs, it that helps. IIRC, after Idaho Springs, the order of the exits is St. Mary's glacer, Dumont, and then Downieville. The next one after Downieville is US40 to Empire, which is actually where we will be going, the trailhead is just outside of the tiny town of Empire. Downieville is a better spot to meet because the gas station will be open and you can get breakfast/potty break at the Burger King.

nelson

Ok- We're in. Got the snacks, water, food, etc. We'll see you there.

Carrie