Best sub $500 DSLR deal?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I'm buying a DSLR for our ministry to keep up with the kids on Instagram and making HD or even 4k vids...

What do you recommend for $500?

Costco has both Canon and Nikon (both come with an additional lens).

Nikon

Canon

I am partial to Nikon due to the good hunting scopes I have used.

However, I want an easy to use, hand it to anybody and get a decent shot on "AUTO"

What would you get?:thumb:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
We just bought the Canon Rebel from Costco. Lots of reviews on both put them pretty close. Canon seemed to have better connectivity features, but I doubt you can go wrong with either.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If you can afford $650, the Sony A6000 is a wonderful mirrorless camera. Link

subzali

Hard Core 4+
We got a D3200 a few years ago, and it's got way more capability than I know how to manage. The D3400 I think is just a newer version with some more features. It can be your entry into full geek or you could use it like a point and shoot with a big lens :D

Taking video is a little tricky though; you would want to do some research on how to get good DSLR video that isn't shaky and has good sound, and I'm not sure if that platform is the best for that sort of thing. There are stabilizers and other things available on the market for that.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Matt can you explain the mirrorless advantage to me?

Biggest advantage is making the camera smaller and lighter. That's a big deal when you want to carry it up a mountain. The Sony A6000 with the 16-50 mm lens can fit in a coat pocket, and it takes pictures of equal quality to many DSLRs.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I second the Sony. I've got an older version and it takes the best "auto" pictures I've seen. It's excellent in low light situations and takes extremely natural looking photos. The only thing I dont like about it is the lack of a traditional view finder which i think the newer versions have them though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
In fact, I dont use mine much anymore and your welcome to try it out if you like.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Personally I don't see the point of a DSRL camera body if your never going to pony up for a really nice lens/es. might as well just get some sort of high end point and shoot. I have not bought anything new in a long time as my Lumix is still going strong. And I can’t get sand in it by pulling off the lens.

I'm sure a newer model has even better metering, video, wifi, bla bla bla features.

Attachments

• Lumix FZ150.jpg
    Lumix FZ150.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I've got a used A6000 that I'd be willing to let go of. I'd sell the camera, bag, three lenses and a big "for dummies" kind of book to go with it. I could do $650 for the whole kit.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
If you can afford $650, the Sony A6000 is a wonderful mirrorless camera. Link

Matt, thanks for the recommendation and the demo on the Outlaws...

I bit the bullet and picked up a barely used Sony a6000 with 16-50mm and 55-210mm lens, extra batteries and accessories within my budget.

Looking forward to taking some non-iPhone pics.

Man between the camera and the new GPS setup I have on the way (thanks Jacket) the Outlaws Run is gonna cost me! But not as much as Martins gas bill. :thumb:

Thanks for the input friends. :thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Matt, thanks for the recommendation and the demo on the Outlaws...

I bit the bullet and picked up a barely used Sony a6000 with 16-50mm and 55-210mm lens, extra batteries and accessories within my budget.

Cool! You'll love the a6000. Great camera, super versatile, focuses fast.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
What are your preferred memory card sizes? 64gb? Trying to buy a few... I have landed on which one after some research but don't want to buy too little or too much card. Looks like 64gb is pretty popular?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What are your preferred memory card sizes? 64gb? Trying to buy a few... I have landed on which one after some research but don't want to buy too little or too much card. Looks like 64gb is pretty popular?

I think my last two cards were 128 GB -- the prices have really come down. I don't like to swap cards, since I am always worried I will lose one.

Micro Center was selling Nikon D3400's with 2 lens, sd, and carrying case for $450 at one point a couple months ago. Pick up mine a few months earlier and love it!