• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

battery in the 80 took a dive, what is everyone else using?

FZJ Dave

I have been running a Yellow Top Optima in my 80 since 2018 when I bought it. No issues here. I ran a lead acid as my 2nd battery and it spilled it's acid all over my engine compartment. I will only run sealed AGM or other sealed type batteries going forward.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Here are some numbers I looked at when the X2 that came in my white 80 was dying. I am not sure how old it was, but I think it was from 2018, so it only lasted like 3 years if that was the case. Prices have gone up since I did this...

Batteries Plus X2 27F 930 CCA 195 RC $360 5-year full warranty
O'Reilly Super Start Platinum AGM 24F 710 CCA 110 RC $200 3-yr limited warranty
Autozone Duralast Platinum AGM 35 650 CCA 100 RC $200 3-yr full warranty
Autozone Duralast Platinum AGM 24F 710 CCA 120 RC $200 3-yr full warranty
Optima Red Top 35 720 CCA 90 RC $200 3-yr limited warranty
Advance Die Hard Platinum AGM 24F 710 CCA 120 RC $160 3-yr full replacement
Costco Interstate 24F 710 CCA 120 RC $160 3-yr limited

The X2 clearly has the best performance, I guess being the only 27F in the group. 5-year warranty is good, but I kinda worry that there isn't a Batteries Plus everywhere you go.

Of the others, they seemed pretty equal, but for some reason Advance had a $40 rebate or something so it was only $160 for a battery there. I figured even if it crapped out after the 3-year warranty, I could still buy another and still be money ahead vs. buying an X2. Even compared to Costco it had a full replacement vs. the limited warranty. And again there isn't a Costco in every town either, but there is probably an Advance/Carquest not too far away. Moab and Montrose have a Carquest, for instance.

So I went with Advance Die Hard. So far so good but I do worry about charging voltages a little bit so actually more recently went back to lead acid for the vehicle that sees more street than bouncy off road trails. We will see how things shake out.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I just put a Deka AGM group 31 in mine. Post configuration is not good for the 80 series but I made it work as the price was right and it was my best locally sourced option.

Batteries Plus in Farmington NM closed its doors a few years back. Had it not I would have bought another X2 Power group 27. IMHO the best option for the 80 series as it fits as it should and offers great power/performance. I've run AGM batteries with my OEM alternator for 15 years. Maybe someday I'll do the mod above to increase output.

If price of AGM does not make sense for your use just go buy what ever lead acid offers the warranty/service location of your liking. There's only like 3 core manufactures anyway all relabeling for individual retailers.

Nemo

Trail Ready
I ended up deciding the NAPA Legend Premium AGM battery was to be my choice and it was only like 180 dollars with a 3 year free replacement. What I liked about it was how easy you can replace it as there is a NAPA store almost everywhere. Price. And the battery was completely bolt in so no need to rewire anything.
I searched high and low for the Odysey and others and decided that waiting 2 weeks could prove problematic if I was actually dead in the water. That is when availability became more important to me than the latest "cool" thing.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
I've been using Deka in almost everything i own for years. Little expensive but they sometimes offer higher capacities in the same size cases. My .02.

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
I've got an X2Power. Still. 7 years now. Pretty amazing actually.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I threw in the towel for good on AGM. Plain old Duracell from Batteries+ to replace Odyssey that were losing capacity after just 3 years. :doh:

Still have a group 27F X2 that I use inside (safer due to much reduced off gas). But since I'm dismantling my ham station I'll probably be putting that on CL soon, too.