• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

battery in the 80 took a dive, what is everyone else using?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I am open to ideas.

TacoDane

Rising Sun Member
I go to Batteries plus for the X2Power batteries. They're the same as NorthStar, just a different label. Best batteries I've owned since Optima went down the tubes. The one I'm my Tacoma has been in for 5 or 6 years now. The last one in our Ram plow truck lasted over 8 years. And that hardly ever gets driven.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I just buy Interstate batteries from Costco. I never had a problem with them and the price is right.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I go to Batteries plus for the X2Power batteries. They're the same as NorthStar, just a different label. Best batteries I've owned since Optima went down the tubes. The one I'm my Tacoma has been in for 5 or 6 years now. The last one in our Ram plow truck lasted over 8 years. And that hardly ever gets driven.
I thought those were AGM, and AGM is not good for a primary battery because they don't charge right with with a traditional alternator?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I just buy Interstate batteries from Costco. I never had a problem with them and the price is right.
I have an Interstate right now. Second one in two different vehicles that gave up the ghost in less than 2 years.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Although, given my luck with batteries maybe a Costco Interstate is the way to go since they are like $110.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I feel like it's such a crap shoot anymore with all of the companies and I'm just buying from Wal-Mart. Depending on the type, they're only around $100.

Oh, and just a heads up, Interstate won't honor a warranty on their batteries if they come from Costco. This bit me a few years back and I was pretty upset about it.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I feel like it's such a crap shoot anymore with all of the companies and I'm just buying from Wal-Mart. Depending on the type, they're only around $100.

Oh, and just a heads up, Interstate won't honor a warranty on their batteries if they come from Costco. This bit me a few years back and I was pretty upset about it.
Costco honors their warranty. 36 months, bring it right back to a store.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Costco honors their warranty. 36 months, bring it right back to a store.
Yep, but let's just say, hypothetically speaking, you're in Arkansas and your Interstate battery gives up the pooch AND there aren't any Costco's around. So you look up an Interstate dealer thinking you'll be able to take your Interstate battery there to get it switched out because it is still "under warranty". You leave said dealer with a new battery only after you've forked out the cash to pay for it yourself. Then you contact Interstate thinking that surely there is a misunderstanding on the dealer's part only for them to tell you that no, they don't honor the warranty on their batteries when bought from Costco.

Just sayin...it could possibly, maybe.....happen

Believe it or not, batteries die when it's convenient for them, not when there's a Costco around. Oh, and unlike Denver, in most parts of the country, there's not a Costco ever 3 miles.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Yep, but let's just say, hypothetically speaking, you're in Arkansas and your Interstate battery gives up the pooch AND there aren't any Costco's around. So you look up an Interstate dealer thinking you'll be able to take your Interstate battery there to get it switched out because it is still "under warranty". You leave said dealer with a new battery only after you've forked out the cash to pay for it yourself. Then you contact Interstate thinking that surely there is a misunderstanding on the dealer's part only for them to tell you that no, they don't honor the warranty on their batteries when bought from Costco.

Believe it or not, batteries die when it's convenient for them, not when there's a Costco around. Oh, and unlike Denver, in most parts of the country, there's not a Costco ever 3 miles.
Touche Salesman. I'll accept your argument.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

can't you take the core and your receipt from the "other" store to Costco when you get back to Denver and have them "warranty it" and sort it out on their end?

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I use a group 34 AGM dual purpose Interstate battery in my rig. Its the best of both worlds. Deep cycle and starting in one battery. It's a little pricy but it works. I have never needed a group 31 for what I do. It's just to big and there is enough weight on my truck as it is. Also don't look at the price in my snip too much. Our servers at work are ran through Calgary Alberta so most all of the sites I visit are in Canada.

Also there is a solution to the charging system in an 80 series and keeping AGM batteries properly topped off. Just skip to 3:50 in the video to skip his ranting. I have a few extra diodes if you need one. I ordered some from amazon.

1663104585233.png

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I ended up just getting a Costco Interstate for $109. Cheap, fast, reliable...choose 2.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
All the battery answers you want at:
1663108410889.png

(yes, I'm being that guy again.....)

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

TacoDane

Rising Sun Member
I thought those were AGM, and AGM is not good for a primary battery because they don't charge right with with a traditional alternator?
I've only experienced this concern "online". Never from a mechanic or from a battery rep. I've been running AGMs in a dozen vehicles over the last 20 years. Only issue I've had was my sport bike that only has a rectifier, no alternator. And Optimas when they moved production south.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Interstate
From the interstate store
Haven’t paid full boat for a battery since switching to this strategy across multiple and I MEAN multiple Toyotas

Maybe it works for me cause I have seven Toyotas on the payroll down from more than that and the vendor has no idea what battery goes with what car..
But it works

@Inukshuk did you mix up this url for ih8mud passive aggressive?
Just curious 😂

Last edited:

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I just run Walmart brand.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
can't you take the core and your receipt from the "other" store to Costco when you get back to Denver and have them "warranty it" and sort it out on their end?
I’m not sure. The battery was serialized, I think. So I would think that Costco probably wouldn’t take a non-Costco battery as well but maybe not?