Bad noise on startup - FJ60

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
The pump is supposed to have 3 vanes in it. The inlet and exit pipes bolted to the pump are different for different applications. If the pipes on yours are in ok shape, you might hang on to those when sending the pump out as they may send a different pump back that has been serviced. If the rebuilt pump has the wrong pipes, it sucks. I got at least one of the Cardone rebuilds with the wrong pipes.
I think that’s what I must have on here now. The pipes are so close together that when you add the thickness of the hoses they interfere with each other. I *could* buy a Cardone pump easy enough, but every single review I’ve read of them (specific to the 60) is that they last a year tops - if you’re lucky. As much as I like working on the truck I’d rather work on different things and not replacing the same part over and over again.

Here’s a picture of the inside of this spare pump I have. The central hub only has one slot, which is shown. There aren’t any more hiding on the back side.
34ACB7DF-C386-42BC-8404-FE5A0A0B08D6.jpeg
No idea how it got filled with oil and crud....

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Well, the noise happened again yesterday. I was able to wait and get it started ok, but then it happened again after I stopped at a gas station. I took the belts off and the smog pump pulley was very stuck - took me 15 minutes to get it loose, but it would get stuck again rotating it by hand. I went back and forth with the pulley, getting it stuck and freeing it, until it would move mostly free. I threw the belts on and it started ok, and got me home.

A few weeks ago - anticipating this day would come - I got a core smog pump from Classic Cruisers and sent it to B-Z Rebuilders in LA. This morning I swapped the pumps out. Below is a picture of what the inside of the old pump looked like. Absolute carnage. I understand the pulley was sticking occasionally on startup, but I still don’t know what the noise was. The bearing in the pump eating itself, the pulley shaft being forced to spin on seized bearings, or the pump providing enough resistance through the belt to lock the crankshaft, and the starter making the flywheel grind on the crankshaft/bearings or something. The last scenario would be pretty bad. Anyway, enjoy this picture:

1EF8D7F1-30F9-47F0-BBCB-BD1C53B73702.jpeg

RDub

As you likely know that oily stuff is probably transmission fluid that came from a leaky PS pump at some point. PS pump leaking on air pump is a recipe for short life for the air pump.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@RDub I have heard that. I probably mentioned it somewhere above, but end of last summer I blew the front seal on the PS pump on Old Flowers Road - it barfed all of the ATF onto the smog pump. I’m going to keep a close eye on the rebuilt PS pump to monitor any leaks.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
As you likely know that oily stuff is probably transmission fluid that came from a leaky PS pump at some point. PS pump leaking on air pump is a recipe for short life for the air pump.

^^This^^

BTDT, both on my 60 and my daughter's...