?axle strength?

C

cricket

i have an 02 tj x with 30 and 35 i have a 7" long arm and 2 " body w 35's i was wandering how u guys think the axles will hold for now till i can get stronger ones im broke

FJBen

cricket said:
i have an 02 tj x with 30 and 35 i have a 7" long arm and 2 " body w 35's i was wandering how u guys think the axles will hold for now till i can get stronger ones im broke

If you make it to the trail head with that rear axle I'd be amazed. If you take that rig 4 wheeling, don't go alone. That rear D35c usually dies with 33" tires. I'm assuming you AREN"T locked so that will help....sorta...maybe...not really but go for a 8.8 rear end.

I don't know if you've noticed or not but this is the Rising Sun 4wd club, which is TLCA sanctioned...or Toyota Land Cruiser Association. :D Nobodyon here has a jeep for reasons I won't go into...but...

here are some sites which will be a big help to ya, unless you'd like to convert to Toyota :beer: :D

Good local site, 95% jeeps
www.colorado4x4.org

All jeeps, not local, kinda gay site....ok really gay but you could prolly get better answers than what we would give you...
www.jeepsunlimited.com

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Word! :cool:

Cricket, we like ya but ya gotta do somethin' 'bout that truck! ;) :D

FJBen said:
If you make it to the trail head with that rear axle I'd be amazed. If you take that rig 4 wheeling, don't go alone. That rear D35c usually dies with 33" tires. I'm assuming you AREN"T locked so that will help....sorta...maybe...not really but go for a 8.8 rear end.

I don't know if you've noticed or not but this is the Rising Sun 4wd club, which is TLCA sanctioned...or Toyota Land Cruiser Association. :D Nobodyon here has a jeep for reasons I won't go into...but...

here are some sites which will be a big help to ya, unless you'd like to convert to Toyota :beer: :D

Good local site, 95% jeeps
www.colorado4x4.org

All jeeps, not local, kinda gay site....ok really gay but you could prolly get better answers than what we would give you...
www.jeepsunlimited.com

wesintl

RS Moderator
Me ain't sure what a 30, 35 is.. is that 30 inch tires on the front and 35's on the rear :confused: :lmao: :lmao:

Toss some 60 axles under it with a 2f and split case and you should be fine :) :bowdown:

Cricket, don't mind our little bashing.. It's all in good fun here but were mostly dedicated to Land Cruisers and Toyota's in general. Only uncle ben know jeeps :eek:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
wesintl said:
<snip> Only uncle ben know jeeps :eek:

He knows thay taste like chicken!
eat.gif
tongue2.gif
:lmao: :lmao:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You guys is bad to the bone...
Cricket, you are pushing your axles hard but they can either be upgraded, or the man above is correct: an 8.8 Ford axle is stylin', gives you disk brakes, and IIRC also can be had, from the boneyard, with 4.10 gears. Which should pull those 35s mo betta.

The front can be beefed significantly, and needs to be. You really will NOT like replacing a front U-joint in the rain, at night, in the dark in the middle of nowhere. Just as much un-fun as a birfield, the Toyota equivalent. High Country 4x4 can help you out there, or perhaps Wilderness Off-Road. Shoot them a call.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
These Toyota guys should be promoting their junk. Put a Toyota 8" in the rear out of a 3rd gen 4Runner. Can be had in factory 4.56, and you get the axle size and splines of a D44 with the diff clearance of a D35, plus factory e-locker option (maybe just mod it for a cable shift?).

People do the Ford just because it has the same bolt pattern (5 on 4.5), but you still have a c-clip axle and you'll love an inch of diff clearance compared to the Toy 8".

The 30 is fine until you have seriously upgraded the rear.

Nay

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Nay's got quite a point there. Why not?

C

cricket

thanx

haha oops didnt realize the whole land cruiser thing but wheelin is wheelin so yea well thanx 4 the info i thnk im gonna do the 8.8 swap cause of money

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
I WAS a Heep guy :hill: had to learn the hard way.

Another option for the rear, that's little known even by the Joop crowd, look for a Ford 9" from a late 70's -> early 80's Lincon Town Car or blue oval station wagon. Close to the same width, some came w/ rear disks, and the same lug pattern.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Seldom Seen said:
I WAS a Heep guy :hill: had to learn the hard way.

Another option for the rear, that's little known even by the Joop crowd, look for a Ford 9" from a late 70's -> early 80's Lincon Town Car or blue oval station wagon. Close to the same width, some came w/ rear disks, and the same lug pattern.

Those 9" pinions hang down SO low and they are narrower than stock (but the R&P is a monster)...now a Currie high pinion diff with Ford 8.8 IFS reverse rotation gearset is a whole 'nother story.

As far as $$$ are concerned, I was going to put a Toy 8" in my old XJ before we outgrew it, and I had a line on a 1998 with about 70K miles with 4.56 and e-locker for $675 shipped to my door.

Couple hundred bucks of fab work for the suspension links and shock brackets, wheel spacers, plus cable shifter, and you have a seriously high clearance axle with 4.56 factory installed gears and a selectable locker. You cannot do an 8.8 anywhere near this cost (of course, you have to find a good Toy 8" at a good price) if you want lower than 4.10 gears and a full carrier replacement locker. Plus, the 8.8 is a c-clip, and you have the same bracket work for a TJ (XJ's are just a spring pad).

[Jeep Off]

Nay