automatic to manual transmission

Good Morning again.

Next topic: Transmission swaps.

is it possible with out the world caving in, to make my automatic transmission 1993 4-runner to a manual transmission truck?

I have found a 1988 pickup with the 3.0 like my truck, but it has the manual transmission and mating transfer case. It too is an ifs truck.

any suggestions and or recommendations or links to the above. I believe the ECU is also available.

thanks
hykerwilson@gamail.com

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I understand it is fairly straightforward if labor intensive. Not done it however. On the newer trucks I think you do need the ECM, not sure on the 88 or 93 - but you *may* run into some opportunities tying the 88 ECM to the 93 truck. Nothing insurmountable I'd bet.

Another thing to consider is emissions impact. Check with the Colo. Dept. of Health to see if they have any concerns going backwards. There are some differences in emissions equipment between the 88 and 93, although an OBD I system is pretty basic and both are OBD I.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Never done such a swap, I think on our generation of truck the engine and transmission controllers were in one box. Later trucks and cars have a separate ECU and TCU, but not sure that is the case on 1995 and older trucks. The book at least shows the tranny ECM as the same box as the engine ECM, in the right side kick panel.

Additionally, I thought the ECUs were specific between MT and AT. IOW, I assumed that the ECU must be swapped when changing from an auto to a stick. It's entirely possible that the ECU is universal, but I sort of doubt it since the automatic trucks have vehicle speed sensors for one and a few additional switches and controls for the auto shift pattern that the stick shift trucks don't.

If you do have to swap ECMs, I wouldn't assume they are 100% interchangeable. I know in 1989 the 22R-E changed a little (different intake plenum, throttle body, different injectors) and it's always possible that emissions rules evolved and the boxes were remapped between 1988 and 1993. It would be safest to find a 1993 auto V6 ECU. When people do 22R-E swaps (either 22R->22R-E or old 22R-E to later 22R-E) the advice is to keep the whole system together, ECU, engine, harness.