• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Aspen Ridge camping near Salida this weekend - Fire Ban Lifted

cbranch

Rock Stacker
Hey all, for those without Halloween plans, the wife and I will be doing Aspen Ridge south->north this weekend, with camping somewhere along the route now that the fire ban for Chaffee county has been lifted. The plan is to head to Salida Saturday morning, drive about halfway through Aspen Ridge and find a spot to camp Saturday night. Finish up the trail and head home on Sunday.

It's short notice but figured I'd let folks know in case anyone else is itching to get out and camp under the stars with a fire.

Note: I did find conflicting information about the fire ban for the Salida ranger district (This Map shows that a stage 2 ban is still in effect, while this map shows the ban has been lifted). I called the Salida ranger district at 719-539-3591 and Jen assured me that dispersed camping fires along Aspen Ridge road are permitted this weekend.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That is tempting. There is a possibility we might join you. Weather looks to be good!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Would you like gps coordinates of 2-3 of my favorite campsites in the state? Some amazing views up there!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I am also down for a maybe. Dogs okay? What time are you planning on leaving Salida on Saturday?

cbranch

Rock Stacker
Dogs are definitely welcome! I haven't hammered out the details but we're quite flexible. With roughly 20 total miles to offroad, there's lots of time for gallivanting and we probably don't need to start too early.

Salida's about 3 hours from us so we're considering departing the Salida Conoco sometime between 10am and 1pm - it's a large time-frame as we're happy to accommodate anyone's schedule. So far only you and @MountainGoat have expressed interest so it should be pretty easy to pick an agreeable time =)

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I'm going to be at a friend's place in Evergreen tonight and would be headed out from there. Still a maybe but if @MountainGoat is coming too perhaps we can caravan down.

shellb

Hard Core 4+
I’d be so in for this if I didn’t just get back from elk hunting in pagosa!

would love to camp around that area...maybe next year!

cbranch

Rock Stacker
I'm going to be at a friend's place in Evergreen tonight and would be headed out from there. Still a maybe but if @MountainGoat is coming too perhaps we can caravan down.

He did PM me that they're passing this time around. We're thinking a noon departure from Salida, but if you decide to join let me know what works best and we'll accommodate