Argentine Pass Final Work Day for the Season w/ Special Guest Clear Creek Ranger District

Heritage40

Rising Sun Member
Hello my Overlanding Friends, for one final time this season we will be working with the Clear Creek Ranger district on the Argentine Pass.

WHO- This event is open to anybody who can make it. You do not need to be a member of Rising Sun to attend. Kids and dogs welcome, just make sure they are being watched and not in harms way. Leashes for dogs.

WHAT - Argentine Pass Trail Workday. We will be collaborating with the Clear Creek Ranger district to do general maintenance on the buck and rail fence and general cleanup as needed. This is one of our adopt-a-trails that we have done a lot of work on to keep open and this is our opportunity to work with the Ranger District to continue to do so.

WHEN - Saturday, October 19th. I hope it works for most everyone.

WHERE - Co Rd 352, Idaho Springs, CO 80452, 39.681585, -105.703039 - Entrance is off of Guanella Pass Road as you leave from Georgetown.

MEETING PLACE - Lets meet at the Mountainbuzz Cafe & Pizzeria in Georgetown. Exact location is here: 1200 Argentine St, Georgetown, CO 80444, https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...f1dd8f5f81811!8m2!3d39.7121693!4d-105.6955871
Feedback from past projects was that if we could get started a little earlier; lets plan on meeting at 8:15AM (or earlier if you want to grab a bite to eat) and we can get started airing down and doing the tailgate talk ASAP. Once were done we can head up to the trail proper. I'm hoping we won't be down there more than 30-45 minutes or so, so we'll be rolling out by 9:00 am. CB channel 4 and HAM 147.420

Bring plenty of water and a lunch and plenty of snacks to stay energized and eat as you go. It will be manual labor so have your work gloves, wear some boots, and bring a few trash bags. We will be doing trash pickup along the trail as well as trail maintenance that needs to be done. We will review the Safety Topics and the Plan of the Day at the Mountainbuzz Cafe with the Clear Creek Rangers.

As always, bring, Gloves, rain gear, sun screen, Hard hat, and again plenty of water.

Let me know if you think you can make it.

See ya'll up there for the final event of the season!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Right now I am down for it. The only thing that would change it is Sarah's baby is expected any day now

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
If this is the buck and rail fencing I think you’re talking about, and I think it is, then I can not assist with this. I can not, in good conscience, spend my time assisting the FS in closing down legitimate trails.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If this is the buck and rail fencing I think you’re talking about, and I think it is, then I can not assist with this. I can not, in good conscience, spend my time assisting the FS in closing down legitimate trails.
do you have more info on this? Which road number, etc?

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
90F6DE87-8F00-47DB-8939-2675F3D40672.jpeg

I don’t know the exact number of this road. In this picture, the red highlighted trail has been bulldozed and closed. The blue highlighted line is where the buck and rail fencing is.
The marker that says “10” by it, is at Waldorf where we put in the 10 birdhouses a couple years ago.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I know Waldorf and remember doing the birdhouses... so now we're closing the road that goes to that little cabin? So why is the cabin now off limits, is it the water you have to cross to get there?

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I know Waldorf and remember doing the birdhouses... so now we're closing the road that goes to that little cabin? So why is the cabin now off limits, is it the water you have to cross to get there?

You got me. I have no idea. We had been keeping it clean and well maintained. I’m guessing the water crossings were the reason. Who knows. It’s complete BS.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Huh. Aaron @Outlander40 do you have any more info here? Scope of work, road numbers, etc.. the description above is kinda vague, do you know what's getting buck & railed?

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Seems like the real question should be whether the route in question is on the MVUM.

Travis, can you confirm that the route you referred to is 248.2B - the one in the red box below?
Argentine.jpg

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

My understanding was the buck and rail being repaired was to prevent people from driving all around on mine tailings, and to fix a couple things near the Santiago site.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Dan and I had a good discussion and this thread came up.

I think it’s pertinent to have a levelheaded person on trail with an MVUM and gps to confirm what we’re up to.

If we are being asked to help close a legitimate trail, I’m in full support of respectfully declining and picking up trash and doing our part that way.

Until then, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and show up ready to work.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Dan and I had a good discussion and this thread came up.

I think it’s pertinent to have a levelheaded person on trail with an MVUM and gps to confirm what we’re up to.

If we are being asked to help close a legitimate trail, I’m in full support of respectfully declining and picking up trash and doing our part that way.

Until then, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and show up ready to work.

This is exactly how I do our workdays with BRD. I usually ask that the Ranger leading the charge rides with me so we can have discussions as we're touring the area and looking at the map and discussing various uses and each others goals and objectives.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Seems like the real question should be whether the route in question is on the MVUM.

Travis, can you confirm that the route you referred to is 248.2B - the one in the red box below?
View attachment 81865

Yes. That's the one I'm referring to.
There are so many other things that need attention out there, I can't believe that resources were wasted on shutting that road down.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
My understanding was the buck and rail being repaired was to prevent people from driving all around on mine tailings, and to fix a couple things near the Santiago site.

If this is the case, that's great. There are plenty of places where fencing needs to be set up and some places where it exists and it may have been damaged.
I'd like to know exactly what the FS Rep is planning to work on.

Cruiserman

Wincher
Do I need an OHV pass (or whatever it is) if I want to participate in this trail work?

Heritage40

Rising Sun Member

I spoke with the forest service... we are only repairing buck and rail (approximately 20 buck) around the Santiago Mine area to help keep people out of the mine and allow the area to regenerate. This effort is only to re-establish existing buck and rail that has blown over. We are NOT blocking off new trails or building new buck and rail.

Heritage40

Rising Sun Member
To All:

I spoke with the forest service... we are only repairing buck and rail (approximately 20 buck) around the Santiago Mine area to help keep people out of the mine and allow the area to regenerate. This effort is only to re-establish existing buck and rail that has blown over. We are NOT blocking off new trails or building new buck and rail.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Looking pretty iffy for me. Sarah has scheduled "an eviction notice" :) for the baby for Friday so Saturday I expect to be at the hospital holding my first grandkid

If it comes sooner on its own would be the only way I could make it

Thanks Aaron for digging into what the forest service is asking us to do.