• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Argentine outing. Friday 8/27

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Hey all. I'm looking to get up to Argentine Pass this coming Friday (8/27).

Having been a while since my last visit (June 2020), be good to get up there and check things out.

Another reason for wanting to get up there is to check out a mine that's directly below Mt. Wilcox (and to the North). You can see this mine across the valley from the road to Argentine Pass. My plan was to take the road that branches off from the main Argentine Pass road till it ends near the power lines, then proceed on foot.

Coordinates for the mine: 39.621969, -105.758883 ( did take from Google Maps).

This has been a spot I've been wanting to check out for a looong time and part of my broader "Argentine Project" agenda.

Let me know if there's any interest.

A good view of Mt. Wilcox from the Vidler Tunnel. The old mine is at the base of the scree field just to the North of Wilcox.
Vidler Tunnel 2020.jpg

:beer::beer:

MATPHAT

Lifted
Been wanting to Argentine for years but have never been able to get the timing right to go with a group. May be able to make it and will get back to this thread in a few days to verify. What's your interest in the mine? Rock hounding?

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
What time are you thinking of meeting up on Friday Perry?

bh4rnnr

Been wanting to Argentine for years but have never been able to get the timing right to go with a group. May be able to make it and will get back to this thread in a few days to verify. What's your interest in the mine? Rock hounding?

Cool. Be fun to have ya if you can make it. May not be a big group, but I'll be up there. As for the mine, more on the history of the Argentine Valley (also known as the East Argentine Mining District)
What time are you thinking of meeting up on Friday Perry?

Dan,

Was thinking about 8-830am? Be nice to get an early start...

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Would like to join you guys. Been wanting to do Argentine for a while.
But I’ll be at the OverlandExpo all day Friday. Enjoy and post some pictures!

bh4rnnr

Perry, what’s your guesstimate on distance from the power lines to the mine? The hike part.

Rough guestimate for the distance would be around 1mi+? Not the best with that. My thought was to follow the scree line from the powerlines.

Would like to join you guys. Been wanting to do Argentine for a while.
But I’ll be at the OverlandExpo all day Friday. Enjoy and post some pictures!

Bummer, but have fun at the Expo. Tell Paul of Equipt Expedition Outfitters I say hi!

MATPHAT

Lifted
Cool. Be fun to have ya if you can make it. May not be a big group, but I'll be up there. As for the mine, more on the history of the Argentine Valley (also known as the East Argentine Mining District)

Dan,

Was thinking about 8-830am? Be nice to get an early start...

I'm going to have to miss the meeting time as I have to drop the little guy off at daycare at 8. I will probably still head to the run after. Maybe I'll catch up near the mine.

bh4rnnr

No worries! Be fun to have you along if you can make it!

Don't know how long the hike to the mine will take but will keep an eye out for you.. Only coms I have are Ham and will monitor 146.460.

Figure well drive up to Argentine after the mine.

MATPHAT

Lifted
No worries! Be fun to have you along if you can make it!

Don't know how long the hike to the mine will take but will keep an eye out for you.. Only coms I have are Ham and will monitor 146.460.

Figure well drive up to Argentine after the mine.

I'll look for you guys. Thanks!

bh4rnnr

I'll look for you guys. Thanks!

I'll be in my Silver 3rd gen 4Runner.

For anyone else, planning to be at the trailhead around 8am.

bh4rnnr

Well seems I pulled a bonehead move and left my backpack and such at my parents house when I was picking up the runner:rolleyes:. Looks like I'll have to wait till next Friday to hike to the mine...

Probably just hang around Argentine for the morning then head down.

MATPHAT

Lifted
I'm headed out now and will be at the trail head in about an hour and 10 mins. I'll have coms on 6 / 462.6875 maybe I'll see.yall.

Yeti

Rising Sun Member
Leaving Arvada now with a battery. I will be on frs channel 6. ETA to the trail head is 55 minutes.
My cell is 7202727511 if you are able to get off the trail sooner. I’m driving a silver lx570.