Are LX470 and 100 series chassis the same, in regards to shock selection?

Burt88

Trail Ready
I've worked under both platforms and could never tell a difference in the suspension configurations after the Lexus AHC is removed. Is there something unseen?

Reason I ask is because I have been denied a Bilstein warranty based on their opinion that the shocks are not compatible on the LX470. The shock kit in question is the Landcruiser specific set of four 5160's for up to 2.5" lift. The identical set that is available through Slee and other suppliers. I installed 2 inches of lift and in less than 10k miles the stem broke at the upper mounting position. Reason's for denial of the claim are; improper installation using an impact wrench, damage during installation, and that they were installed on the wrong vehicle. I can assure everyone that they were installed properly, due to the fact that you can't fit anything but a hand wrench where the upper nut is. The only thing I noticed between the Bilstein and others is a lack of adequate bushings for the mounting angle. I only assumed the engineers have a handle on those sorts of things.

I'm not trying to get a single shock replaced at this point, just trying to figure out what the major difference is between the 2 platforms.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I honestly thought they used the exact same shocks. Last week I helped a buddy remove the AHC from his LX and we replaced it with an Ironman kit. Everything went together as described. And I agree about the limited access for tools regarding the top pin/stem. I’d really like to see someone get an impact wrench in there!

Burt88

Trail Ready
I honestly thought they used the exact same shocks. Last week I helped a buddy remove the AHC from his LX and we replaced it with an Ironman kit. Everything went together as described. And I agree about the limited access for tools regarding the top pin/stem. I’d really like to see someone get an impact wrench in there!
I expect the only difference is the AHC system. Obviously you can't swap an aftermarket for an AHC shock, and I suspect that's why Bilstein says it's not compatible with the LX.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
If Bilstein won’t cover the shock under warranty, ask them if they have another shock comparable to the 5160 for the LX.

I think they are just using the LX/Land Cruiser thing to get out of covering the warranty. The LX literally says UZJ100 on the frame stamp.

Burt88

Trail Ready
If Bilstein won’t cover the shock under warranty, ask them if they have another shock comparable to the 5160 for the LX.

I think they are just using the LX/Land Cruiser thing to get out of covering the warranty. The LX literally says UZJ100 on the frame stamp.
the frame stamp says that? I oughta send a pic.

They claim that they don't have shocks for the LX specifically, thus voiding any warranty. Overall I was unhappy with the performance of the Bilstein shocks so I'm changing things up. The OME shocks I had laying around actually outperform the 5160s

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
That’s a bummer about Bilstein and the 5160s. I was really hoping they would be a nice upgrade from the basic mono tube shocks that are common for the 100 series.

Yes, when we were swapping out the suspension on my buddies 2000 LX, I specifically noticed the UZJ100 stamp on the frame, and made a comment to him about it. It’s located on the passenger side, rearward portion of the wheel well on the frame.

Also, if you are going with a different shock, check out the Dobinsons IMS shocks. They may be a nice option.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
While you're technically correct the frame number is a serial number and Toyota/Lexus know that *your* UZJ was built as a LX470.

Bilstein therefore is also correct that it's not a Land Cruiser per se, so you're in a grey area where you have to get them to recognize that you're in a fairly unique situation having swapped the whole thing over. By the book you went off catalog and did a custom installation, not different on paper than using Chevy pickup springs or engines in a Toyota.

I'd have thought whatever retailer you used should have better luck going to bat for you with Bilstein. It's obviously not a wrong application.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
This is an interesting situation and something to keep in mind for future purchases. I would have thought shocks were defined by length/compression demand, not necessarily application, and the warranty would apply to the shock itself regardless of the application. In other words, if Bilstein knows what length/compression is needed for a land cruiser, AND that it is the same as an AHC application, what difference does it make?

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Yes, besides the AHC everything else is the same between the LX and LC. However it's still a different model vehicle. Just as a Camry and ES300 are 99% the same mechanically it doesn't matter it's a different vehicle according to the EPA, DOT, NHSTA, Toyota themselves etc. You might be able to sweet talk them otherwise probably SOL.

I spent $600 on new AHC globes and installed them in an hour or so. Frickin love my AHC. Used it to lower down and let my grandma climb in the other day.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
They are the same after AHC delete. People do like their working AHC systems but do usually dump the system when something fails, especially if not a diy wrench.
For the PakuBus I'd keep AHC if it's working and only replace if you have a need to fill or just want all the shiny parts (like I often succumb to lol).