• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

APRS is great for tracking your Vehicle. For those on the fence about APRS capable radios

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Not that I would suggest such a thing but in all likelihood the radios are all the same and localized by the use of those zero ohm soldered jumpers. You know the ones that people remove to do the MARS mod that allows out of band transmit. So you could make any FTM-400 into an 'R' if you want. We did that with @Stuckinthe80s turning an FT-8800E into an FT-8800R

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Not that I would suggest such a thing but in all likelihood the radios are all the same and localized by the use of those zero ohm soldered jumpers. You know the ones that people remove to do the MARS mod that allows out of band transmit. So you could make any FTM-400 into an 'R' if you want. We did that with @Stuckinthe80s turning an FT-8800E into an FT-8800R
that sounds like a surefire way for me to let the smoke right out of that thing..

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Have you perused sites like eHam?

Kenwood TM-D700A VHF/UHF APRS radio along with the AVMap GPS unit.