April Boulder RD OHV Committee Meeting

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Be there or be square. It would be great to have more than one RS member up there. Also, with my new job (beginning with the May BRDOHV meeting), I will not be able to make the meeting except after it starts so if anyone can cover the first part it will be greatly appreciated!
###############################################
All,

The April meeting will be Thursday the 20th at 5:00pm at the Boulder Ranger District Office, 2140 Yarmouth Ave, Boulder, 303-541-2500.

Below is the agenda for the meeting.

------------------------

Mission/Direction:

To coordinate and implement volunteer projects on the Boulder Ranger District related to the maintenance of OHV recreation.

Education - Restoration - Information Test for projects: is it signing? erosion control? restoration?

keeping the public on the route? education? re-establishing closures of previous decisions?

------------------------

Agenda:

1) Schedule Next Meeting - All

2) 2005 grants 319 Grant for Lefthand, update (Colleen)

3) 4WD Road Signing project - Adam Adopt-A-Road agreement for Miller Rock, status. Adopt-A-Road agreement for Lefthand, after travel plan. Gordon, Fairwell, and Bear Gulch signing July 1. Ruby Gulch research. Jumbo Mountain access. Talk with Mike Johnson. (JD)

4) Motorized Trail Signing project - JD Motorized trail system routes list needed.

5) Lefthand Travel Planning update - Brian/Cat Update on Lefthand Travel EA final, out in March?

6) Yankee Doodle Lake - Bill/Roz/Valerie Progress on mud bog project preparations. Contact Rollins Pass Restoration group - Valerie

7) Gillespie Gulch - Colleen/Greg/John

Status on mine owners proposal to put a gate at the north entrance.

Road is a level 3 in the INFRA data base.

8) National Forest Funding - Roz

Status of COHVCO, CMC, others on Congressional funding for recreation in Colorado.

9) Status of Overland Fire Closure - ?

Plan field trip to area with FS. Summer.

10) Lefthand Cleanup - Adam

Lefthand Cleanup to be May 7th. Need volunteer agreement from FS.

Project to install map holders to kiosks after cleanup.

11) Shooting NEPA EA- ?

Public scoping will begin in late April or early May.

12) Middle St. Vrain - Greg/Adam

Projects are reduction of signage at Coney entrance, repair of gate (welding). Middle St. Vrain kiosk stays. Make / install new Coney Flats directional signs for Middle St. Vrain.

Any new issues or concerns to work on, or Forest Service projects related to Boulder Ranger District motorized recreation. - All

Boulder Ranger District projects list are online at
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/projects/

---------------------------------------------

On Hold 2006:

1) Restoration Projects on Park Creek, Bald Mountain description of work for Categorical Exclusion.

2) BRD Transportation Inventory Grant

3) Sugarloaf Single Track

---------------------------------------------

Last Meeting:

3) 4WD Road Signing project - Adam Adopt-A-Road agreement for Miller Rock, being reviewed. Adopt-A-Road agreement for Lefthand Canyon, FS waiting until travel plan is completed. Peewink and Comforter Mtn will not be signed due to present temp closure and possible sale of Comforter property.

Gordon, Fairwell, and Bear Gulch are planned for July 1 signing project. Investigating Ruby Gulch for possible including in signing.

4) Motorized Trail Signing project - JD Cat is working on list of motorized trails that are system routes.

5) Lefthand Travel Planning update - Brian/Cat May be out in late March.

6) Yankee Doodle Lake - Bill/Roz/Valerie Mud bog project near Jenny Lake being designed. Pipe for barrier being quoted. May need 760 feet. Deciding on pipe barrier or pipe and cable.

7) Gillespie Gulch - Colleen/Greg/John Black Rose mine owners are working with lower property owners to close Gillespie at its north entrance. No gate yet.

8) National Forest Funding - Roz Proposal to increase Colorado recreation funding for forests. Continuing efforts. Possible coordination with BRC National funding efforts for recreation.

9) Overland Fire Closure - FS has extended it for 1 year. Field trip to area to be planned in the summer.

10) Lefthand Cleanup - Adam To be May 7th, 9:00am. After Cleanup TRR will weld map dispensers to kiosks.

11) Shooting and Disp Camping EA -District wide regulation of shooting and camping. Scoping will be out in early May

Adam Mehlberg 3jeeps@cohvco.org 3jeeps@frii.com Trailridge Runners 4WD Club Secretary

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
7. So if the mine owners put up a gate at the north entrance of Gillespie Gulch, is that where we usually drive in, through Jamestown? So then the only access would be up lower Nugget Hill, with that very tippy obstacle just below the saddle?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
7. So if the mine owners put up a gate at the north entrance of Gillespie Gulch, is that where we usually drive in, through Jamestown? So then the only access would be up lower Nugget Hill, with that very tippy obstacle just below the saddle?

You got it Skippy! That trail you're referring to has been called Slaughterhouse Gulch for as long as I have known the area. These days it's called Slaughterhouse-Boulder since they named the new trail in BV. Not bad in a 40 but "The Gate" at the top (rock just before the saddle) is not long wheelbase friendly and has a large appitite for drivers side rear quarter panels!

I wonder if this possible closure will force Gold Lake resort to remove the illegal lock on that gate to provide fire and public access. If folks start heavily using Slaughterhouse again the mine property on that trail could also choose to close access.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I should be able to make the meeting on Thursday.

Bruce

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for joining me, Bruce! Sorry for the late update. The Yankee Doodle Lake project is looking like August-ish, the firm date is at home right now or I would post it. So that looks pretty good for our summer, eh?

Oh, and 5/8" cable is the minimum as many in the club suggested it would be. Oh, well. At least no one will steal it for their winch! ;-)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
Thanks for joining me, Bruce! Sorry for the late update. The Yankee Doodle Lake project is looking like August-ish, the firm date is at home right now or I would post it. So that looks pretty good for our summer, eh?

Oh, and 5/8" cable is the minimum as many in the club suggested it would be. Oh, well. At least no one will steal it for their winch! ;-)

5/8's and 3/4's are typical rigging cables for mobile crane's. I can make a couple calls to see if we can get discarded cable from them. They are required to replace the cable after a certain amount of working hours per OSHA rules. I'm sure they sell it for scrap so if we cn provide them with a reciept they might be talked into a tax right off instead!

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Red_Chili said:

Bill, please post the date soon. Would like to put this on my calander :thumb: