Any of you ham operators need an antenna?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Sure. I could put that in my back yard. :eek: 45 ft. tall! NOT!

Attachments

• 0101030104060103002007060702b5ef0b45b0a5b357001c36.jpg
    0101030104060103002007060702b5ef0b45b0a5b357001c36.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 298

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yes you do Chris!

HOA's are a big enema!

In reality, the peak of my roof is at 31 feet. So, it would only stick out 14 more feet above my roof, not tall enough for a 20M beam antenna due to needing the antenna at least 1/4 wavelength away from any structure in order to achieve maximum radiation efficiency.

However, free is free, and the best kinda stuff is free stuff.:D

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
Go big or go home, right?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
It IS close to my house. :D I'd go get it. It may belong to a guy I chatted with a few weeks ago on 146.520. I don't know where I'd store it. Under my deck, I suppose. :eek:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Just looked at the residential guidelines in my covenant controlled neighborhood:

4.11 Communication Reception/Transmission Systems and Cable Lines
One (1) small satellite dish, no larger than one meter in diameter (equivalent to 39 inches), may be installed and maintained on any Lot, but only upon compliance with the following conditions:

a. DRC approval is required. Preferred placement is in the rear yard of the home, below the fence line and not visible to any street or open space. The equipment should be installed with emphasis on being as unobtrusive as possible to the adjacent neighbors.

b. All cable lines running across the Lot must be properly buried underground. All cable lines running on the siding of the home must be properly hidden so as not to look in poor condition. Cable lines should run parallel with all siding and with all trim boards and be painted to match surface that it is installed on.

:(

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
We talked about that a little in the class Nathaniel did for us. There is a variance for "towers" because of cell phone systems. Any Ham tower like that one should be covered. Now, I'm sure everyone around you would be thrilled when you put it up. :lmao: :rolleyes: But supposedly one could get away with it.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
So legally I could put this in my back yard and no one would be able to do anything about it. :D Hmmm...

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
HOA badnews(for Hulk and Shark Bait)

We talked about that a little in the class Nathaniel did for us. There is a variance for "towers" because of cell phone systems. Any Ham tower like that one should be covered. Now, I'm sure everyone around you would be thrilled when you put it up. :lmao: :rolleyes: But supposedly one could get away with it.

I should elaborate. HOA's are private contracts that are not covered by the PRB-1. PRB-1 is the FCC declaratory ruling requiring that local zoning laws must reasonably accommodate amateur antennas and support structures with minimal regulation and without unreasonable restrictions. HOA's are under a different class known as CC&Rs — Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions. CC&Rs are usually added to the deed by the original non-government restrictions of the property when it was initially sold. CC&Rs remain on the deed even when it is transferred to another party through resale. The FCC has been very clear that PRB-1 does not cover CC&Rs, as they are a private contract, not public policy issues. As of now, PRB-1 won’t be of help to address CC&R issues.

The practical bottom line when dealing with CC&R cases is that the amateur is often in a weak negotiating position. Short of getting the HOA to change or waive the restriction, you probably are going to have to rely on alternatives to pursue Amateur Radio from your home in a CC&R situation.

Which means they got you, now you have to follow their rules. They have the acronym of NIMBY(Not In My BackYard) when it comes to HOA's and neighbors with towers.

I may call the guy about the tower. Good thing for me is that we(Bruce and I) have been putting in an radio and tower at work. One more tower won't bother too many poeple out there. I'll take you up on your offer, Brian, if I do go get it. :cheers:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So legally I could put this in my back yard and no one would be able to do anything about it. :D Hmmm...

Maybe and no. Depending on where your house is, especially if the proximity of a fire station and/or cellphone tower are close to your home. Those public service providers have special rules for their towers. Thats the maybe part. The no part is that you might spend years in a legal battle squandering your family's fortune trying to prove your case that you have just as much right to have a tower in your HOA controlled subdivision as those public service organizations.

If you do go down that road, make sure you put the antenna up during the wee hours of dark and all in one night. That way at least it is up so you can talk on the airwaves while the legal battle is going on. Just make sure that you are putting up this 100' tower http://texastowers.com/hdxserie.htm that has a concrete slab base of 5'x5'x9'. That'll really piss off your neighbors.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I may call the guy about the tower. Good thing for me is that we(Bruce and I) have been putting in an radio and tower at work. One more tower won't bother too many poeple out there. I'll take you up on your offer, Brian, if I do go get it. :cheers:

Thanks for the clarification Nathaniel. If I'm available I'd be happy to help out, too, if I can. Especially because it's in my back yard. :D

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel, I recall reading an article that there was a recent court decision that created a loop hole in the CC&R deal. IIRC the decision said CC&R's can not stop you from installing "reasonable" ANTENNAS ( NOT towers ) to receive commercial broadcasts. Sooooo...you could string up a dipole to receive broadcasts from the BBC or Radio Free Europe. If the dipole just happens to be resonant on your favorite HF band, then......;) Have you heard any thing about this ? I'll try to find the article.