Any ideas for getting sway bar end link off?

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
So I'm trying to see how my truck does without the front sway and if it's something I could live with for onroad or if I want to start looking into disconnecting end links so that I still get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I ran into a problem trying to remove the control arm side of the moog end links that are currently on there and the ball joint just spins. I guess the OEMs had an allen cut into the end of the bolt for this exact reason but the moogs don't and I'm pretty stumped now how I want to get them out. Regardless I want to replace them because the boot on one is torn up and the bushings are completely shot. Any brilliant ideas for trying to get past this? Only idea I have is to grind some flats into the end of the bolt but I don't have a grinder.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
If you’re going to replace the end links, I’d say cut them out.

Burt88

Trail Ready
Got a picture?

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Also don't have a sawzall. I can get a pickle fork at HF though. That seems like the cheapest option.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I second this. I used to spend hours beating up my knuckles trying to get old parts off to replace. Now I go straight to Mr. Grinder or the Sawzall if I don't want to reuse the part.

Photo would be helpful. I'm having difficulty visualizing. Sometimes if you have a spinning joint like that you can hit it real fast with the impact and it will get it loose.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I think this is mainly the issue. If he’s using hand tools the ball joint will spin. You need an impact to snap it free. I still say a pickle fork will help
Nailed it, I don't have an impact yet. Really need to get one ><

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
If you come out to the snow run I am almost positive there will be impacts and sawzalls galore.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I found out on the t4r forums actually that the moogs have a plate on the other side of the mounting point with flats that is attached to the stud. It was just covered in grease so I had no clue it was there.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Now you’re gonna need a pitman arm puller to get them out 😂
Isn’t suspension work fun?
Already have one of those. That was a no brainer to get early on when I realized I was going to have to do my CVs. I'm actually probably going to just go ahead and get the Hercules 20v impact from HF here in just a bit. It's nearly every job I need to do on my truck where it would come in handy and save me a lot of time which is a big deal when I want to complete most of my repairs and such in an afternoon.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Right up there with exhaust work... :rant:
Hey at least you don't need a welder for most basic suspension work or have to deal with extremely rusted bolts.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hey at least you don't need a welder for most basic suspension work or have to deal with extremely rusted bolts.

I beg to differ...

IMG_20220823_201934946.jpg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I'm saying it's usually less rusty relative to same age exhaust. Obviously anything can get bad with enough time/exposure but the exhaust will always be worse all things being equal because of the heat.