Any good motocrossers here? (suspension setup)

So I'm getting pretty darn fast on the track (for an old guy that doesn't get a lot of practice) and finding out that the stock suspension on my CRF isn't in love with my 220 pounds (full gear). Has anybody had their suspension set up for their weight and riding style? Worth the money? I'm finding the bottom of mine on a pretty regular basis anymore and having trouble coming out of corners consistently. A guy I work with tells me I need springs front and rear but says a revalve usually isn't worth the money. Opinions? He also recommends Hitchcock in Englewood, has anybody had any experience there?

Also, does anybody get out to VDR or IMI on weekdays and need somebody to tag along?

Thanks guys.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Best money I've spent. I had Mark at rocky mountain Pro Action do mine. It's night and day. I'm 190 lbs so I'd spring mine if it was track only but I trail ride it to. It just sticks tithe ground better than ever before

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
X2 on the suspension. If you have gotten good enought to over ride your suspension it is holding you back. Also the factory sets the specs for a 165# person so you and I are straining the system already. Don't know who is good anymore but get it done, use the guy Jeremy used.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
not a good motocrosser.. never was. I was a woods bike guy. now I am not a good rider anymore and wonder where it all went. My bike needs suspension work.

anyways, I have ridden stock bikes of several flavors with stock suspensions and bikes with built suspensions for my weight and riding style and have to say it makes an unbelievable difference to have something tuned for what you like to ride.

do it.

I guess I knew the answer and was going to do it all along but I just needed a little push. Thanks guys, I'm going to make some calls.

I bought the bike new in late 06 and I haven't ridden it a whole lot, I'm just now putting a rear tire on it. I've never felt until the last couple of rides that the bike was holding me back but I'm definitely there now. There are several doubles and some good sized table tops at the track I have been frequenting in Sunol, Nebraska that if I over-shoot in the slightest I'm bottoming hard on. Then there are a couple doubles right out of corners that you have to hit just right with enough speed or you go ass over tea kettle. I went aotk (did I invent an acronym?) a bunch before I got those guys figured out but I don't have the consistency I would like. I find I'm hitting them pretty good 8 or 9 times out of 10 and the other times, well, keep the grip, lever and antiseptic companies in business. I'm too old to be busting myself up like this so I'm going to try the suspension and see if that doesn't help.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I'm still a newb to the moto thing but the name I've heard the most associated with local suspension tuning is Slavens Racing out of Colorado Springs:

http://slavensracing.com/

Beater

Hard Core 4+
no moto-x here, but all of my bikes are set for sag, and spring rates applicable to the riding I do.

Please do this for yourself.

I stopped by and talked to Mark at Pro Action. Really nice guy and he's going to work up a suggestion and let me know cost and options. I'll ride this week then take my stuff to him on the following Wednesday. I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let everyone know what I think.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I cant say it was a huge night and day difference at first, until I broke my front caliper on a trail ride and had to ride a different bike for the day. It wasn't until then I figured out how much better it held the ground, how planted it was. I thought I was just getting better lol

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Slavens has a good rep. I absolutely can endorse Hitchcock Industries in Englewood, that is where I would start. He worked magic on my KLX300 when I had it, even picked up some fork travel. It went from a nice woods bike that would occasionally wake you up in a corner, to one with a front end that stuck like velcro and soaked up ripples like a featherbed.

Even woods guys can benefit, I guess is the point of the story. Great, now I miss that bike again... dangit... :lmao:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I was on the phone with Slavens today and inquired about their suspension setup. Ballpark price is $900-$1100 for the full package, which is rebuilding/revalving the front forks, new spring & rebuild shock in back, tuning to your weight & riding style. Sounds like the deluxe treatment, and something I should do and would benefit from, but probably not this year. Just posting up as an FYI.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
This came as a recommendation to me besides Bill's endorsement above. I called him and was quoted roughly half those prices. He seemed to know what was up and is pretty well recommended on the boards I've noticed.

Hitchcock Industries, LLC
4003 S Grant St
Englewood, CO 80113-4705
(303) 761-4652‎

When I'm ready ($$ & Time) I'm going to him.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Sweet, I just got a free steering dampener. They're half as far away, too. :)

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Wondered why they were closed last weekend but once I saw the track I knew. Looking awesome, you will have a great time, tried to get in there and sell some dogs but they were full already.