• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Another Ham radio thread... IRLP?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Sorry, no :zilla:'s... :rolleyes: :lmao:

But did any of you other guys see this thread? http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=191221 There's a net on Tuesday night where you can yak at California guys about suspensions.. requires getting into a repeater & doing the IRLP stuff so we can bounce west... anyone know how to do that? Is that possible with the repeaters we have here at our disposal, or would we need access to a less public one? I wish that 40' antenna on CL was still available..

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Yes - I know IRLP. The RMRL has IRLP on one of their repeaters, my membership is still being processed so I have not gotten the access codes yet. The WA2YZT repeater (146.805 PL 186.2) is open to the public and does not require special codes. I stumbled across this repeater and have been using it to talk in NM, OK and have been trying to talk w/ Antarctica. About a week ago, the node owner Paul came on and we chatted a bit - a real nice guy and he seemed to be pleased the node was being put to use. In the early mornings, it is usually dialed into TN.

IRLP is pretty cool, you punch in the IRLP node number for the station and it hooks you right up. My son's Technician license hit the database last Thursday and later that night he was chatting it up with 3 people on Ohau (sp) in HI via the IRLP.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I saw it

And I was going to see if I could get onto one of the repeaters that does IRLP. RicardoJM--good to hear of a node that doesn't require access codes. Not that I am against being a member of the organizations that run the repeaters, I just am not a frequent enough IRLP'er to justify it right now.

I know on 145.340MhZ(Rocky Mountian Radio League--IIRC) is also a IRLP node RMRL IRLP Node info and any member when asked can dial a node for someone who isn't a member.

It might be nice to check out the net from our end to clue people in that we're here, seeing as though the LC ham radio group who was trying to do a HF and VHF net was disbanded 'cuz everybody wanted to keep chat on Mud.

I hope we can get onto the node and listen in. Tim, you gonna listen?

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I want to listen in, but have a birthday dinner this evening. If it finishes by 8:00 I'll probably dial up the reflector. Come to think of it, anyone can dial up the reflector. The process (after confirming the frequency is not in use) is to announce your intent to connect to an IRLP node, dial the IRLP node (9251) on your DTMF pad and then release the PTT button. The IRLP node will anounce it has been connected.

IRLP node 9251 is a "reflector" node. The reflector nodes allow multiple IRLP nodes to connect together at the same time. There are not that many reflector nodes and they do have limits set on how many concurrent connections can be made at one time.

When you are done using the connection it needs to be dropped. The process is to announce your intent to drop the link, dial 73 on your DTMF pad and then release the PTT button. The IRLP node will announce the link being dropped.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm single dad tonight, so I wouldn't be free to mess with this until 7:30 or so. And this is something I'd probably want to see someone else do first, before trying it on my own.. I'd hate to be the guy that broke the repeater! :doh:

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I was chatting on the way home and BogusBlake chimed in that he would be dialing up the IRLP for this tonight. I'll be listening in.

Hey guys-

The net starts at 8 tonight and you are all welcome to join!

Ill be connecting through node 3286 which can be reached from pretty much anywhere in town.

Tune in to 447.175, -, pl 186.2 or 146.805, -, pl 186.2 (they're linked together)

Ill get on a couple minutes before 8 and connect the node. Hope to hear a few of you guys then!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok, so easy question... if you connect to the node, then there's nothing else for anyone else to do but tune into 447.125? So I'll be able to pipe in with the California guys.. :confused:

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Tim
I believe that is correct you will need to program the tone in

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool! sounds like we're in.. guys I'll be monitoring 145 as well if you want to flip over and chat outside the net..

OK, so it seems like we had some kind of issue with the node at first, but we're on now!

Convert

Hard Core 4+
IRLP very cool, nice to talk across the US:thumb:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Thanks for setting that up, Blake, that was pretty cool.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey Romer, topic next month is fine cigars and adult beverages...

KE7IXX here!

Thanks to all of you who joined in last evening!

I was a bit overwhelmed with the 400% increase in folks on the net. This whole setup is new to all of us, so be patient and as we cont. to meet, it will get better!

Mark

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey thanks again for having us, Mark! and welcome to our little forum here, post up any time!

Looking forward to next month! :cheers: