• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

another gear thread 4.56 vs. 4.88?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm starting to second guess myself. I've always thought when I regear I want to go with 4.88's, but now I'm wondering if 4.56 makes more sense? Bear with me for a sec: stock tire size for a FZJ80 was 275 70 r16... that comes from a very trustworty source . So using this calculator (towards bottom of page), that's 31.157". Using the gear calculator a little higher up on the same page, if I plug in a new tire size of 35", 31.157" as old tire size, and 4:11 as current gear ratio, I get 4.617 for my new gear ratio. That's pretty close to 4.56.. If I plug in 34.5 as my new tire (since most run small, right?) then my new gear ratio is 4.551- dang that's even closer to 4.56!!

I swear I don't want to run 36's.. I think. 35's is as big as I want to go, I'm pretty certain there, well pretty sure. But is running 36's really that bad with 4.56 gears? According to the 4wheelparts gear ratio guide , the difference is less than 100 rpm's at 65mph (click the link on that page). I haven't done my taxes yet, so for the time being feel free to fantasize with me that I'll be regearing & getting new tires. :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nak,
For the next club meeting lets swap trucks. Granted mine is Supercharged but you can still feel the gears and the way the truck likes them. I was talked out of 56's and I'm glad! With these non-speed rated tires I've had Ricecake over 115 and still had plenty to go. On an 80 with it's great overdrive 4:88's and 35's are a match made in heaven! :fing: :cheers:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I searched around a little more and found this thread, and am now leaning back towards 4.88, I think you're right Uncle B. Will be glad to swap though, you're going to love the stock gears, no supercharger and 295's.. will be a great exercise in patience. :D

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
I searched around a little more and found this thread, and am now leaning back towards 4.88, I think you're right Uncle B. Will be glad to swap though, you're going to love the stock gears, no supercharger and 295's.. will be a great exercise in patience. :D

Tim,
This must be why you have so many gadgets! :flamingo: :hill: :lmao :cheers:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey life's the journey, not the desitination, right? A Land Cruiser isn't made to get you there first, it's made to get you back!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
Hey life's the journey, not the desitination, right? A Land Cruiser isn't made to get you there first, it's made to get you back!

You got it nailed! Life's also too short so do what makes you happy every chance you get! For me, getting there first and getting home are high on the priority list. :cool: :drink: