American 3D Printing Cruiser Parts

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Yes I could, I have made a number of cookie cutters in the past. But, it would be cheaper to just buy one off him than have to pay me to design the 3D model and then build it, even the build itself would be more than the $15 he's charging.

If you had your own 3D printer and also had the 3D model then it would only cost you maybe $0.50 worth of plastic to make your own.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Hey Jeff, thanks again for the bezel!

Here's what it looks like installed...

Attachments

• IMG_0855[973].jpg
    IMG_0855[973].jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 577

simps80

Rising Sun Member
My 1971 FJ40 had a disintegrated defroster duct. I got some replacement hose from a guy on Mud who was selling it as a replacement hose for FJ60 air cleaner hose. The ends where the hose attaches to the rig were cracked and dry rotted, so we built new ends out of Ninjaflex. Fits like a glove!

Hey Jeff, I wonder if I can two of these for the defroster on the 1969 fj40...
the ducts are shot, and the ends that go on the heater box are gone?

can you PM or text or reply with any details on availability?

thanks!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hey Jeff, I wonder if I can two of these for the defroster on the 1969 fj40...
the ducts are shot, and the ends that go on the heater box are gone?

can you PM or text or reply with any details on availability?

thanks!

Hey Mike, even with RS member's discount these would be way expensive. Another alternative might be central vacuum cleaner hose? Maybe the ends themselves might be more a more reasonable cost to 3D print.

Sometimes, I am showing examples of Cruiser parts that can be 3D printed. If you own your own 3D printer (yes I sell 3D printers!) then the cost is a couple bucks worth of material. But if it takes a buttload of time to build it gets really expensive to have me build it for you. Kind of like the difference between doing your own knuckle rebuild versus having a shop do it for you.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Hey Mike, even with RS member's discount these would be way expensive. Another alternative might be central vacuum cleaner hose? Maybe the ends themselves might be more a more reasonable cost to 3D print.

Sometimes, I am showing examples of Cruiser parts that can be 3D printed. If you own your own 3D printer (yes I sell 3D printers!) then the cost is a couple bucks worth of material. But if it takes a buttload of time to build it gets really expensive to have me build it for you. Kind of like the difference between doing your own knuckle rebuild versus having a shop do it for you.

understood, thanks for rhe reply.
i thought this was a thread about stuff you make for sale.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
understood, thanks for rhe reply.
i thought this was a thread about stuff you make for sale.

Well, basically everything is custom. We have made plenty of affordable stuff like pig glove box door handles for $20 or so each for TJ Sholand and locker switch mounts for Christo for around $20 or so. I think Kurt's power wheels FJ40 bezel was around two hundred bucks, including the 3D design.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
Okay, I've finally got something for you to print. I hate ABS. I've tried 20 times and can't get it to print correctly.

I need it in black ABS. Might as well make 2 of them while you're at it. I think it'd be stronger printing it on end than flat like it's pictured.

Doable?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Okay, I've finally got something for you to print. I hate ABS. I've tried 20 times and can't get it to print correctly.

I need it in black ABS. Might as well make 2 of them while you're at it. I think it'd be stronger printing it on end than flat like it's pictured.

Doable?

I hate ABS too, but there are a few instances where it is the best material to choose. Why ABS instead of say, PETg or polyamide?

BTW, the quick answer is "yes of course we can build this".

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
I hate ABS too, but there are a few instances where it is the best material to choose. Why ABS instead of say, PETg or polyamide?

BTW, the quick answer is "yes of course we can build this".
I only chose abs because it's strong (a heavily used, moving part) and its heat resistance (in the hot truck). I tried petg too, but I hated that even more than abs. Nylon could work if you can print that. I'm not too familiar with PA, but I imagine it's quite a bit more expensive than more common alternatives (but I'm not against it necessarily).

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
PETg and Polyamide (AKA nylon) are both stronger than ABS, and both have a Tg at least as high as ABS. PA is tricky to make stong on the Z-axis without delaminating - I have about 8 or 9 different types of polyamides, each with their own set of properties, but for an interior application like this, PETg or PETT should work just fine. Shoot me an email at web@american3dprinting.net or call (303) 674-4044

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Thing number 5615223:

10.5 hr, 125g
That's $109.70 for Rising Sun members, $214.70 for non-members. This is with 0.2mm layers, 2 perimeters and 10% infill. We could take some cost out by going to thicker layers and/or lower percentage infill.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Thing number 5615223:

10.5 hr, 125g
That's $109.70 for Rising Sun members, $214.70 for non-members. This is with 0.2mm layers, 2 perimeters and 10% infill. We could take some cost out by going to thicker layers and/or lower percentage infill.
That's the price for one? WHOA! I am glad that I have a printer of my own. Never looked at what the going rate was for getting things printed.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
That's the price for one? WHOA! I am glad that I have a printer of my own. Never looked at what the going rate was for getting things printed.

We charge about half what Shapeways charges, and 20% less than anyone else in the front range. If you own a 3D printer, then yeah, all you pay is the cost of materials, amortization, maintenance and repairs. And of course you eat your own failed builds.

Funny, I went to show that model on Thingiverse to someone else and saw that Thingiverse had already taken it down. I downloaded it to my sever so I still have a copy.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
We charge about half what Shapeways charges, and 20% less than anyone else in the front range. If you own a 3D printer, then yeah, all you pay is the cost of materials, amortization, maintenance and repairs. And of course you eat your own failed builds.

Funny, I went to show that model on Thingiverse to someone else and saw that Thingiverse had already taken it down. I downloaded it to my sever so I still have a copy.
yeah. I just realize what the cost was. makes complete sense, just shocking to me.