Alpine loop - dispersed camping

Workinonit

Rock Stacker
I was hoping to get out to do the Alpine loop over Labor Day weekend. Friday we will camp up by Taylor Lake and then head down to the San Juans. I see others have said that the Cebolla Pass trail has some camping as you get closer to Lake City. I am not seeing much on the map for that but am wondering if people think we will have problems finding dispersed camping in that area. Or if anyone knows of any dispersed camping in the area around there, I would appreciate hearing about it. I am just concerned its Labor Day weekend and we will be looking for a place to camp on Saturday probably midday to afternoon.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I don't know how much you'll find on the actual Alpine Loop, particularly Labor Day weekend. There are a few spots off of Engineer pass, just uphill from Animas Forks, also off of the lower Engineer (Mineral) section, but I suspect they'd be occupied.

I'm sure you could find a spot on Lost Dollar, also up on Owl Creek pass, but neigher of those are near the Alpine Loop at least how I see/run it (Engineer/Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Corkscrew, etc.) On second thought, there are a bunch of spots between the bottom of Hurricane and Silverton, off that almost paved road that runs up out of town.. not super glamorous by San Juan standards, as you're right on the road, but I bet there's a spot open.

PWCO70cruiser

Lifted
CLC will be down there Sept 7-11 for our annual trip down...the more the better! As for the Lake City side, Mill Creek is a cheap pay for site ($7 a night) and its not on the maps (BLM campground). There are also a couple of BLM sites north of Lake City (~$5-7 a night as well). We will be staying at Golden Horn dispersed camping area on the Silverton side and running trails all week.

Workinonit

Rock Stacker
We camped our first night at Taylor Park and then the next morning ended up just doing Engineer Pass from Lake City, then down to Silverton over to Purgatory Resort and ended up camping just south of Bolam pass. It was nice and there weren't a million people around once we got up a bit where most vehicles did not go. I think this would be a great place to camp, do Bolam pass the next day, head up to Telluride and do Imogen or Ophir possibly. However, we ended up deciding to head over to the Rio Grant NF and did East Fork/Elwood Pass trail from Pagosa Springs side and up. The East Fork trail was pretty cool and while not terribly difficult, its a tiny shelf road with lots of blind parts that we were fortunate not to run into anyone. First time in the Rio Grande NF and it was really quite incredible up there! Highly recommended.

Workinonit

Rock Stacker
For anyone who is interested or looking at this thread at a later date, Saturday morning of Labor day weekend there were a handful of camping sites on. the Lake City end of Engineer Pass when we went through.