Airstream just made towing make sense

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
And to add to it, can’t see why you need a big truck now. I can see this in the future. Camp grounds actually charging your camper and car. Anywho.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Brilliant! Its probably expensive but it really redefines what you can do with a trailer. I wonder how the DMV will classify it since it can move under its own power.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I actually thought about a camper with motors to help relieve static towing weight on the tow vehicle and improve fuel efficiency a while back. I never thought about the fact that it could move itself around the campground. I love this.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Brilliant! Its probably expensive but it really redefines what you can do with a trailer. I wonder how the DMV will classify it since it can move under its own power.
It really changes the ball game. And the crazy part about this is you don’t have to have a EV car to do it. When I first saw it I was thinking it would boost you EV cars battery but wasn’t expecting to move on its own.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Marianne has expressed an interest in a hardside camper upgrade over our StarCraft 10R/T pop-up. This concept is really cool as I can only imagine how slow my 80 would pull the pass with even more camper behind it. Powered is cool, really cool.

Based on what a standard Airstream goes for I would fully expect this to be north of $100K. The video uses the buzz words “off grid” a few times. But where are you going to take this or any other 22’ hardside into the backcountry? I mean it’s hard enough to get my 10’ “offroad” pop-up anywhere I really want to go. Little surprised they didn’t build the concept off their current Basecamp model.

In the end I think I’ll simply stick my RTT or hotel room. I can’t stand the RV park experience. Even if you could get it into the back country how long are you going to enjoy its full potential without hookups to water/waste even if the batteries will last a long time.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
We've been enjoying a number of Colorado State parks with our 19ft trailer. No its not the backcountry and reservations are a PITA but we have had some nice weekends traveling away from home with the comfort of a full on hard side trailer.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have not tried any CO state parks yet. Grew up in the WI state park system and we had a great time as a family. (80’s)

My last few NFS/NPS campground experiences have been miserable and as a result I’ve avoided all of them when ever possible. Prefer away from everyone if possible when camping.