Air Compressor or other for CM (Borrow)

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
So, the last few weeks I've been feverishly going thru parts, rebuilds, fluid changes, etc to get ready for CM. I went through the list again last night of necessities and I think I've got most everything covered...with one exception!!!

I have no way right now to air up my tires after runs. I really don't want to be the Air Moocher I hear everyone complain about, so I'm wondering if anyone has a small (12V) compressor, an extra air tank, etc that I can borrow just for this trip. I am going to get either an air tank or add a YORK eventually, but I can't afford it right now with the new Slee Sliders I just put on and the other work done to get ready for the trip (New HG by Robbie, etc, etc). I figured I would rather use a hand bike pump to air up than to wreck my rocker panels! But now, the hand bike pump idea is not sounding too good!

Any help would be appreciated.

I would also consider buying a cheap 12v if someone knew where I could get my hands on one that would do the job (33" tires down to about 18 lbs or so)?

Thank you.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Leave em aired down all week. You can fill them up at several stations in town if needed too

Sorry, no help on a compressor though.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I thought of that, but I was wondering about the Elephant Hill run...isn't that a bit of a drive on the low tires?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
moocher

I thought of that, but I was wondering about the Elephant Hill run...isn't that a bit of a drive on the low tires?

Maybe I could just mooch after that one?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
What day are you running E-Hill? You can borrow my 12v compressors for that day if you want. Or just mooch, not a big deal.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You probably can mooch after E-Hill -- that's pretty typical. I also have a 12-volt compressor that you can use for the day. I'll bring it to Moab.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I'm not going to Moab and have the 12v Harbor Freight compressor that you could borrow. Just remember to keep your truck running or you will need to find Randy and Marco to help get you started after your battery drains. DAMHIK :eek:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
What trails are you running on which days?

I usually bring my Viar compressor but only use it if I hit trails to the north or far south of town. Otherwise, I just get air at one of the staions in town :)

Beater

Hard Core 4+
costco still has the good one, like 40 bucks iirc

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
anyone tried this one?

Attachments

• compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 112

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have a 12v that I will be bringing to Moab yours if you want to use it. It works great and packs small. LMK if you want to borrow it.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I have two, I'll let you borrow one. Don't trust the gauge though.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I have two of those hardmounted under the hood, with a standard air fitting instead of the oddball fitting it comes with. The only unreliable part of the unit is the internal relay... and since I use external relays to run them and the on/off switch is defeated, I simply removed it.

Amazing value, works quite reliably. I used rubber radiator mounts from an early 80s something minitruck to isolate the worst of the vibration.

The gauge on mine is pretty close... if you check pressure without the compressor running.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have two of those hardmounted under the hood, with a standard air fitting instead of the oddball fitting it comes with. The only unreliable part of the unit is the internal relay... and since I use external relays to run them and the on/off switch is defeated, I simply removed it.

Amazing value, works quite reliably. I used rubber radiator mounts from an early 80s something minitruck to isolate the worst of the vibration.

The gauge on mine is pretty close... if you check pressure without the compressor running.

Got the same one, from Costco! Gauge is surprisingly close, works slow but keeps on pumping. Some things actually work when they are sold inexpensively.:D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Aside from the relayectomy, I also needed to check the head bolts for tightness from time to time. Curiously enough I've not yet installed the check valves sitting under my bench either, the seal in the heads seems to be happy and the startup under pressure does not seem to bother the li'l guys...