• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

A442F - Transmission issues - HDJ81 - front range

Was chatting with Dan M. today and he said to post here.

Recently picked up a 1991 HDJ81 with a A442F out in Seattle and drove it back here to near Evergreen, Colorado. The wife wanted to be able to share the truck that meant an auto and not have to deal with a manual.

No issues on the return trip 3 weeks ago. Drove it for a week here and up to Berthoud Pass, noticed it was lacking in the GO department vs. the manual HDJ80 I recently sold. Had to manually shift down to 3rd on the highway.

The acceleration was a little slow so I decided to adjust the throttle cable and that’s where things started.

(I realize I should have touched the boost or fueling first before anything associated with the transmission - I know this was dumb now!)

Things got a little firmer and takeoff was better but tried to find a nice balance. That in turn ended up making the shifts too firm or not at all. As I tried to adjust back to stock the trans started to not want to shift from 1 > 2 > 3 without warming up.

I decided to swap all the ATF out via a Rodney Flush .

Now that all the fluid is new - cable is adjusted to FSM specs the truck won’t shift up to 3rd and is showing slippage. In addition in reverse it shutters.

Trying to figure out what’s next?
(May need to throw the towel in for a professional opinion.)

Anyone have similar issues with the A442F in their 80 series here in Colorado?

(Not doing a manual swap)

Attachments

• 5DD833CD-9672-418A-9E9C-44D8C34CBE0F.jpeg
    5DD833CD-9672-418A-9E9C-44D8C34CBE0F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 174
  • E4EFBB49-17CE-45BE-8F2D-9E8CA9B77C92.jpeg
    E4EFBB49-17CE-45BE-8F2D-9E8CA9B77C92.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 277

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Looks like the shift cable is pretty loose. The linkage looks all the way loosened. Maybe it needs to be tightened?

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
How well does the cable move in the housing? Those symptoms sound like the ones I experienced right before my shift cable snapped.

Ordered the cable from Dubai, and got it about three days later at my doorstep....at a great price....