A442F kickdown cable replacement

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Not long ago, I posted some wonky shifting on my transmission. I got some great advice / instructions to look for a stuck kickdown cable...sure enough, it was stuck. I lubed it up a little, pushed it back in the housing and I was back to running smoothly again....until last night.

My starts were bogged, seemed to shift to 4th right away, and wouldn’t kickdown to a lower gear by stepping on the throttle. I can get the transmission to shift manually with the selector on the hump.

Today I looked at the kickdown cable again, and it was showing very slack, but opposite symptoms from before. I tried to push it back in to the housing, but it won’t budge, I can easily pull cable out. I’m pretty sure the cable busted. I’m starting to investigate replacement procedures and wanted to see who has experienced this repair and might have some insight to share.

I’m going to have to drop the transmission pan, so I’ll replace the filter for sure. Should I get new solenoid valves and replace them too since I’m in there? About 225,000 km on the odometer, just got the Cruiser so don’t have any history on it.

Thanks in advance, Kurt

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Are you looking at the FSM directions for replacing the cable?

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Is this on an 80 series? If you don't mind me asking how come your changing the filter? The A442 doesn't have a traditional filter. It's just a metal screen from what I recall? The reason I am asking is because I have a brand new OEM filter/strainer in the plastic still.
16101370207818172440658667354220.jpg

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I wouldn't replace the solenoid valves if the transmission shifted well before the cable-stick incident.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Yes, this is for my HDJ81. I’m replacing the filter for the simple fact that I’ll be there, filter exposed.
Steve, I haven’t looked at the FSM for this. Just trolling posts on mud, and other forums. I looked on YouTube but didn’t see a video.

Being the cable was sticking, and I don’t have history, I’m not sure if the transmission was shifting as it really should. It always seemed as if taking off took more skinny peddle than, say, my Sequoia.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Here is an interesting youtube video detailing how an auto trans shifts, its for an A343 so not directly applicable but might give you some ideas for troubleshooting:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Asked about the FSM as it, for the A440F anyway, shows you have to drop the transmission valve body to replace the transmission throttle cable. I've found, again for the A440F, that dropping the valve body isn't necessary with a little ingenuity making the job so much easier. The amount of ATF spilling out of the tranny is much reduced by not removing the valve body and you don't get into VB seals. The throttle body valve seals themselves are constantly bathed in ATF so they are most likely in fine shape and leaving them alone is a good thing. The A440F differs from the 442 version only in the electric solenoid for OD lockup, I think. Could be wrong on that as it has been many years since dealing with the cable replacement job on my 62. I'd be glad to lend a hand when you are at the point of cable replacement.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Steve, I’m not going to lie, the cable replacement is more involved than I first imagined. I’m second guessing if this might be more than I can handle in the driveway. I have some more reading to do....

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I have the FSM showing the job for the 440. Pretty much the same as the 442 if you'd like to check it out. We are in the same part of town, as I recall. The job isn't really all that difficult, just a little messy.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
So I looked up a PDF for both transmissions, and both mention removing the valve body. I assume it’s very evident and easily seen of the cable and cam it goes on? The manual just says remove throttle cable, and replace cable on throttle cam. Unless I’m missing steps, or missed it all together....by the picture (drawing) maybe loosen the valve body and tip it to get to the cam?

eBay has the cable OEM Toyota but from the UAE for about $60 after shipping. Going to call Stevenson tomorrow about pricing from them.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
No need to mess with valve body at all. It’s been ten years since I’ve done this but I do remember it can be done easily by simply removing the pan. Check with Stevinson or Cruiser Outfitters for price and availability.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Also, as was mentioned, the filter screen can be cleaned rather than be replaced so no need to buy a new one.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I thought that various Mud threads said that replacing the kickdown cable was fairly easy and didn't require VB removal.

One of several threads on this:

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Steve, the symptoms in that thread are different from what I’m experiencing. I can easily pull my cable out, and no way is it going back in. If it were still in tact, I wouldn’t be able to pull the cable out. I’ve ordered parts, waiting arrival, and going to tackle this in the next couple of weeks. I may even document this, as I haven’t really found anything on the interwebs.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Sounds good. Where did you order the parts from? A very small flat blade screwdriver and small hook shaped pick and you are in business. Let me know if you want some assistance.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
The part number I found from Mud isn’t available from Stevenson. The cable for the FZJ80 is available, but I didn’t know if it was interchangeable. The parts lady at Stevenson wasn’t sure, and couldn’t answer fitment questions, cable they could get was $160, so ordered the part number found on Mud from the UAE, genuine Toyota part, and should be here in about a week? I also ordered the valve solenoids from Cobra transmission, Aisin parts for $50 each, and since I don’t have history on this, I sprung for new parts. Also got the strainer from RayRay27 at a good price, so changing it out for new as well. Hopefully going to tackle this in a couple weekends from now.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
What solenoids are you referring to? Have a link that shows them? As I mentioned earlier, the 442 has only one solenoid in it. Shifting is all done hydraulically and the one electric solenoid is for OD lockup. Or, I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for posting that Kurt. A very good video and now I know my experience with the 3FE powered 80s with the A442F didn't apply to the version of the tranny in the FZJ80. It's good to learn. Find any videos of the cable replacement? :)

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
No videos of the cable replacement, no real pictures that I found either. I may video, or document it in some way to help some other poor slob like me with a little "how to" or "how not to" .