A little charging system help?

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
O-k, so things are not groovy with my charging system...

Problem: after sitting for ~ 1 week, the battery was damn near dead.

Background: '78 40 w/ stock charging system. I gave the 40 a nice long drive before leaving it sit while my son was born. Before I went w/ the solid state voltage regulator, my battery was draining overnight. I surmised that the VR was fielding the alternator overnight and doing this. So I got a points type VR, and then a week later switched to the SS VR. Battery stopped draining overnight.

One thing that concerns me is that after I got the 40 started, the Amp meter was not pegged, or showing vigorous charging activity... It was sitting just above the middle line on stock amp meter. When I hooked it up to a trickle charger, it drew 8 and then 6 amps for the better part of a day. Battery now acts fully charged.

In my feeble little mind, this means to me that either the VR is not calling for a charge, or my alternator is no longer putting out - correct?

Would step one be to fully field the alternator and measure output? If so, how do I fully field my stocker 40, external VR alternator?

Thanks!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I've always thought the easiest test of an alternator is to just disconnect the battery while the truck is running. If it keeps running, your alternator works. If it dies, it doesnt'. It's a start at least.. :confused:

FJBen

PabloCruise said:
In my feeble little mind, this means to me that either the VR is not calling for a charge, or my alternator is no longer putting out - correct?

Thanks!

I hate it when then don't put out anymore...oh wait...the alternator :rolleyes:

Just take the alternator and have it tested, easy and free. And then you know, cause knowing is half the battle!

movietitle8.jpg

60wag

Rising Sun Member
With some charging systems I think you can trash the voltage regulator by disconnecting the battery while running. x2 on the get the alt tested with a an alt testing device.