98 TLC Roof Drip Moulding Removal

OHUZJ100

I purchased new roof drip moulding. It looks like the old moulding piece would slide out near the top of the hatch but actually interferes.

Hopefully I do not need to remove the hatch to replace this.

Who has removed this piece before and knows what I am missing or doing wrong?

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Bump, anyone have some pointers?

OHUZJ100

I caught my answer in mud after a little. For posterity:

1610772823950.png

1610772852935.png

It does not slide out, though it will slide a couple inches until it interferes with one of the clips on the body, if I remember correctly.

Instead it unclips by being levered out perpendicular to the body line. I was very careful with mine as I needed to reuse it. I can't remember which direction seemed best, whether it was toward the centerline of the the vehicle or toward the side. Either might work. But in your case, if you're replacing it then I'd just pry it out, basically. It's way more flimsy and bendable than the mounting points holding it in.

First time in a long time I've gotten exactly the answer I was looking for over on mud🥱

Thanks for checking this got answered Dan, you rock dude🤘

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
This is good information. I’ll store it away for future reference. Thanks.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
This is good information. I’ll store it away for future reference. Thanks.
Agreed. I have been trashing these for 10 years, today took off my first set of these covers the correct way and they actually survived. Took a little longer, but wanted to see if it could be done and sure enough. So I've got an extra pair of these covers in the OEM rack stash now. If anyone needs stock rack parts, hit me up any time, I've got them all.