Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It’s just wrong.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Crazy but not entirely out of line if true
But 13k with 4 owners isn’t right
If Gary’s absolutely SEMA level build on his 1964 fj45 on 80 chassis with 100 v8 goes for 82k which it did

This is bone stock 80 with questionable mileage of 13k isn’t worth it

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Crazy but not entirely out of line if true
But 13k with 4 owners isn’t right
If Gary’s absolutely SEMA level build on his 1964 fj45 on 80 chassis with 100 v8 goes for 82k which it did

This is bone stock 80 with questionable mileage of 13k isn’t worth it
I was thinking the same thing. Does the ECM retain mileage information? I don't think it does and from what I can tell, it simply sends a signal to the gauge cluster to click over the analog odometer. What I'm trying to say is that it would be super easy to change the mileage to show 13k.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
So a brand new old 80 and a brand new (also discontinued) 200 are commanding the same price. Huh, interesting stuff.

I'd drive the 80 to a meeting, the 200 to south America, and Gary's 45 everywhere.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
as clean as it is, i can see only 13k. i would guess someone bought it as an investment vehicle.

it was originally a corporate vehicle, so i'm guessing a dealer principle had it, realized it would be a good investment and bought it and parked it for seven years, then sold it to owner 3 who drove it. owner four apparently parked it also as i don't see any emissions tests. I know a few people that are friends of my brothers that do "investment vehicles"

wesintl

RS Moderator
rust bubble on the rear hatch. must've come from the factory that way. for 13k miles must have been outside for a while.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
I can’t put my finger on it, but something about the seller has always rubbed me the wrong way. Just always seemed very “used car salesman” to me.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It's fun to look at the photos and see all the items that used to be on my 80 that have been replaced, removed, broken, or just fell off somewhere along the way.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Interesting speculation. One thing is for sure whoever bought it isn't thinking they'll loose any money.

Burt88

Trail Ready
So, has anyone ever met an individual that spends this kind of money on an 80 series? Or are these ultra rich entities that are trying to dump money and claim losses on their investments for tax purposes?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So, has anyone ever met an individual that spends this kind of money on an 80 series? Or are these ultra rich entities that are trying to dump money and claim losses on their investments for tax purposes?
I'd totally believe it's the same financial circle that's making million Dollar cash offers on houses buying up old iron but can something like a vehicle be accounted strictly as an investment like that? I assume they could be purchased into a business fleet so it might be an expense on a balance sheet technically. But I'd still think there has to be a legitimate reason for the purchase and subsequent liability or loss. And auditor might ask why you spent $135k on a 25 year old SUV instead of $60k on a new Explorer as a company vehicle. My guess is it's simply just a place to dump money into something that is real as an inflation hedge. Some of can only afford to Dollar cost average by sitting on more TP and engine oil than we strictly need, others can sit on a few 80 series or early Broncos. I dunno.

Last edited:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Based on all these over the past two years I need to sell my 80
But it’s still my favorite out of all this old Toyota metal I have
It’s my “new” one still after 14 years of owning it
But would sell it tomorrow for anything north of 60k
Guessing would be relatively easy

Blindranger

Hard Core 4+
My cousin fits the ultra-rich label. He flips dozens and dozens of cars per year and he shared he usually makes 8-20% per car, so less profit than he makes off property, but he makes up for that on volume. People will always pay a strong premium for very low mileage vehicles, last time I was at his place he was focusing on low mileage 911s and TJ Jeeps, but there was also some uber-rare pussy magnet yellow Lamborghini in his garage.