• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

94 Fzj-80 Failed Emissions

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
So here is the readout. I have a long list of things to check Treeroot recommended today that may help with isolating the issue.
1. Checking the throttle position sensor.
2. 02 sensors
3. ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor.
4. Temps on the cats

If figured while I was in there I might as well ask for anymore suggestions of things I should check.

The truck is a 94 fzj 80 here are the particulars.
1. New O2 sensors 8 months
2. New head gasket (OEM) 1.5 years ago.
3. Valves all adjusted a few months back
4. Oil change that morning with mobile one 5w30 synthetic
5. Drove for 50 miles on the highway before going to the test station
6. Ran 87 octane gas
7. Ran a bottle of Lucas deep clean fuel system through on the prior tank.
8. I am currently running 33 inch Toyos
9. Recently washed the air filter

Anything to add to the test list or suggestions would be appreciated. I have been reading through all of the historical threads and I am pretty convinced it is cats, however you guys might see something different in the data.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 670
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 665

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
do people not listen to me....2 bottles of heet on a half a tank of fuel.:blah::blah::blah:

i was high on the same thing the first time and it was the only time i've ever gone through emissions without using heet.;)

of course, i was a heck of a lot closer on the ranges.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Red...I thought we discussed this? :hill:

You also swapped the charcoal canister

When I go to the emissions place, I over inflate the tires for less rolling resistance, change the oil, install new air filter, time the engine to spec, make sure all electrical devices are off for them to test, open all windows and sunroof(they don't throttle it as much if they can hear the engine/tires), drive a minimum of 50 miles on a new tank of gas, empty out the rear drawers, remove the spare tire, and add two bottles of Heet (Red bottle) to the tank. I also have a new gas cap sitting on the shelf because that really burns me when I pass and they fail me on the cap.

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
Well I started the list of tests and so far I have three failures. The EGR VSV was stuck closed and the impedance was at 64 ohms instead of the 30-34 range the FSM recommends. Also the EGR vacuum modulator was not functional at all. The diaphragm will not move, of course it also failed the FSM tests. Then last and hopefully the final failure was a crunchy hose that went from a T junction into the intake manifold had a number of cracks that rendered it useless.
I should have it put back together in the AM and tested by the end of the day.
Wish me luck.

Last edited:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Let me know if you need any help. If you have the clamshell off, test the voltage on the ECT. I would also check the TPS to make sure it is within spec. We still need to determine why your engine runs so hot as well. Did you want to redo your fan clutch? We can run the Robby test on it to see if it moves any air.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I also have a new gas cap sitting on the shelf because that really burns me when I pass and they fail me on the cap.

Yea - that happened to me last time with the 80. I passed all the emissions tests, and then he decided my gas cap wasn't sealing. Sucks to have to go back through the whole process for a stinkin' gas cap....

wesintl

RS Moderator
last time I got the renewal in the mail and I passed the roadside tests. Now I have to take it in this month. Not looking forward to it.

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
Well it failed again. :mad: (yes i used 2 bottles of red HEET). Also checked the timing and it was at 3degrees with the paper clip in.
So it looks like the VSV and vacuum module had the most effect on HC.
Being that the 94 has parallel CATS what are the thoughts on swapping out just one CAT? Also I noticed on this print out the printer shifted the red line to the left a bit.
(I will probably swap out the other after my next payday)

BTW I really like the testing station in Dacono. It has two four wheel drive lanes and the frontage road right up to the front of the building is 55 mph so you can keep your CATS hot.

Attachments

• After VSV.jpg
    After VSV.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 573
  • after vsv graph.jpg
    after vsv graph.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
wow, you're so close.

New spark plugs/cap/rotor?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
i might just throw more HEET in and try it again.....

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
It looks to me like it missed twice. Once at 150 seconds into the test and another at 185 and that was enough to fail the test. We can see about cooling down your engine and maybe just run 91 octane to cover any detonation due to higher operating temps.

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
It looks to me like it missed twice. Once at 150 seconds into the test and another at 185 and that was enough to fail the test. We can see about cooling down your engine and maybe just run 91 octane to cover any detonation due to higher operating temps.
Sounds like a plan. I went a head and ordered a CAT from Beno so can put that on the truck as well. Also next time I will probably use 3 or 4 bottles of Heet.
:thumb:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like a plan. I went a head and ordered a CAT from Beno so can put that on the truck as well. Also next time I will probably use 3 or 4 bottles of Heet.
:thumb:

You bought a stock cat? That's like nearly double what you paid (stole) your Cruiser for isn't it?

wesintl

RS Moderator
I just got back from emissions testing on the 80. half tank of premium and two bottles of ketchup heet burned down to almost E. I think my numbers were half as low as they were 4 years ago. 2 years ago the road side tests were fine.

.88 HC
3.3 CO
.42 Nox

Sweeet! I passed.

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
I just got back from emissions testing on the 80. half tank of premium and two bottles of ketchup heet burned down to almost E. I think my numbers were half as low as they were 4 years ago. 2 years ago the road side tests were fine.

.88 HC
3.3 CO
.42 Nox

Sweeet! I passed.
Congrats :thumb: It is good to see that another 80 will stay on the road.

I received a CAT in the mail yesterday from Beno and I can't decide to put it on the truck or wait until I get the second one next month..... I am worried about running one cat the flows freely and one that is most likely clogged up.

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
I just had my LX tested, half tank of fresh gas and 1 bottle heat, passed well with 170K on stock cats.