80's electrical problem?

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
My 97 80 is having a strange issue...once in a while my right headlight and right brakelight will go out, always together. After a week or so, they both come back with no problem. I have not had the time to look into it, but does this sound familiar to anyone?? Right now they are both working. Thanks.

Timm

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
The PS light on my 80 goes out, I fiddle with it and it will come back on, just to go back out. I haven't looked to see if the PS brake like is out as well. When I find a spare minute I'm going to swap bulbs with the LX to make sure it isn't just a flaky bulb ready to go out (as suggested to me). I hope that is it.

I haven't looked at the electrical diagram for the 80 to see what the headlight and tail light have in common wiring wise but isn't it usually a bad ground or some such? Yea, not very helpful huh? :hill:

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I had an issue with the front right headlight in my 100 a few years ago where the light would not turn on. I would tap the headlight with my finger and it would come on. It was very intermittent so I had the Stevenson tech look into the issue (while it was in for an oil change) and the diagnostic checks (don't know how detailed or what they involved) did not indicate there was a problem. In the end they did disconnect the wiring plug, clean the contacts and put the plug back together. Have not had an issue since.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a poor or loose contact. I would start at the connectors under the hood. Have the lights on a do a wiggle test to help isolate.