80 tech

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
got the locker disengaged. was prying with a decent size screwdriver last weekend in the driveway and it wouldn't budge...apparently it wanted to be in the garage, cause it just plinked right over with my finger today. since all went so well, i decided to clean up the motor.

pulled the cover off the motor and lightly sanded the blackened part till it was coppery looking again (technical speak). pulled the round side cover to get the motor shaft to slide in and found this... can this be good?

also, the orings for both the side cover and the motor are crap. are they still available?

so, the 80 is back up and running, i didn't test the motor since i want to drive it to work this week and it was getting too cold out to tear it apart if it didn't engage again, so one of these weekends when it's nice, i'll work the button back and forth and make sure i've got the gear on the right teeth.

now, the next annoyance is a new leak. at first it was oily, then i saw a drop till i realized that whatever was leaking was just cleaning the oil off the block:hill:. thought i saw a drop or two of antifreeze, but today, it appears to be power steering fluid. looks like real ps fluid, not atf. a: is it normal to use actual ps fluid in the 80s, b: can the pump be resealed easily? c: how much of a nightmare is it to get this puppy out? d: looking at the pics, do you all agree that that's what it appears to be?

Attachments

• DSC03448.JPG
    DSC03448.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC03449.JPG
    DSC03449.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC03455.JPG
    DSC03455.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC03457.JPG
    DSC03457.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 218

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The Power steering pump is right below the oil filter and a lot of times the oil spills down and looks like a power steering leak. Have you checked your fluid level? I had a small Power steering leak and used that Lucas Power Steering stop leak. There are some write-ups on mud. I haven't done it, but it doesn't look fun. I would clean all that off real good just to see exactly where the leak is coming from. Could be as simple as a hose.

Hopefully Robbie will chime in on the locker question.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Ige you need to clean that thing so we can see wear it is leaking from

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Ige you need to clean that thing so we can see wear it is leaking from

aint no cleaning it...it'll have to be sand blasted off. everything under there is dang nasty.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Ige, I found an O-ring that fit mine at Ace hardware of all places. Not sure if you can fix that crack with some type of "cement" but would be worth a try. If your motor used the same body as mine did you could have my old one, electronics are shot but the body is fine. You can try finding one online but if they are anything like the ones for the mini trucks it will be hard of course you have more contacts.

As for your leaking something or other...........................damn that is dirty!!! No idea what is leaking there, could be your flux capacitor.....................sorry couldn't resist

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Ditto what ken said. As for the housing, that does not look good and looks like something was binding some where. How does the rack slide through the housing(hard easy, etc)? It sounds like the dog clutch is sticking some times. May want to look at the axle for wear on the splines. As for the PS pump, that looks like a small weep at the back O ring. Do you have to replace the PS fluid often? if not then it is more than likely bad habits at oil change. Hope that helps, Robbie

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
slides easily and splines looked ok. i haven't had to replace ps fluid and it was full to cold mark, but iirc, there was a ps seal kit that todd gave me when i got the rig. i'll try to powerwash off what i can when it's warm, but i've sprayed the underside before with no real effect

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
I will have to look up the bearing numbers for you. I think I have them in my note book with my tools. If you go to replace the seals, you may as well replace the bearing. It is really not that bad to rebuild. just a minor pain. Later robbie