80 series OME Trade?

wesintl

RS Moderator
Trade used 850/63 J's for regular 850/863?

Too tall for the Wifey

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
IIRC, I have the normals. I want first dibs if that's ok. Wanna do this before Moab?

wesintl

RS Moderator
I put the rear on it's tall with no armor. I need 2.5 not 3.5. I gained about 4.25" lift in the rear. I was trying to decide to do the front or take the rear off. I guess i'll take the rear off. I was trying to do things before moab but i'm running out of time.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
we could always swap back :)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Wes,

Second dibs after Nathaniel maybe...Not sure what the 850/863 "regulars" are. I have the OME heavys front rear but will need more probably to clear the 35's. Although I'm thinking you probably don't want the "heavies" if you don't have any weight front and rear....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Jeff, I think 850/863 these are the same springs you already have. "regular" just means non-J. What numbers are on the tags on the springs you have?

edit: but I think we're missing the obvious here Wes- shouldn't you just add sliders, bumpers, roof rack, dual batts, fridge...

wesintl

RS Moderator
Jeff, I think 850/863 these are the same springs you already have. "regular" just means non-J. What numbers are on the tags on the springs you have?
yes. non j = heavy.
edit: but I think we're missing the obvious here Wes- shouldn't you just add sliders, bumpers, roof rack, dual batts, fridge...

I have all the on my cruiser. I can't afford all that stuff again. Just need a little lift for the usual passes, other wise stock looking and i'll toss my fridge in the rear. :rolleyes::thumb:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ok...I'm slow here :D

So if I have the OME heavies I have the "J" springs. For some reason I was thinking there were OME stock height springs, medium springs, heavy springs, and then the J springs (like what Romer has). And I was thinking I would probably need to upgrade to the J springs from my heavies to clear the 35s, and maybe even add spacers.

Obviously I need to edumacate myself some more but I'm not in a hurry for the LX to "grow up"...

Sorry for the thread hijack Wes :)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
For some reason I was thinking there were OME stock height springs, medium springs, heavy springs, and then the J springs (like what Romer has).

You are correct. The difference between the medium and heavy springs is in stiffness to handle more weight, not in height. The J springs are taller.

Or go with the Slee 4" springs. All the cool kids are running them. ;)

Nay

Hard Core 4+
You are correct. The difference between the medium and heavy springs is in stiffness to handle more weight, not in height. The J springs are taller.

Or go with the Slee 4" springs. All the cool kids are running them. ;)

The heavies are the same spring rate as the mediums (220 lb/in fr/rr), but are about 1" taller (and a longer coil gives a stiffer effective rate at the same base rate). The idea with heavies is that you have enough load to compress the suspension an inch so you end up with the same ride height as mediums under extra load.

The J's go to a 250 lb/in rear spring rate and are designed as a taller lift, but still for a lot of load. Hence you can get nearly 5" out of an unloaded rear J spring for what is supposed to be a 3.5" lift.

In any case, heavies on a "normally" loaded 80 are plenty of lift for 35's - just add L shocks to the rear suspension and drop the bumpstops 2". You aren't doing anything differently with J springs and L shocks, it's just a matter of how much up/down travel you have.

Even cheaper is spacing down the upper rear shock mount and dropping the bumpstop with your "regular" OME shocks in the rear. Everything else should work.

From the way it was explained to me the J's are taller and this is the standard spring to come from OME since most of the rigs there are heavily loaded down. It wasn't until the U.S. customers started asking for slightly lower springs for their non-expedition rigs that they made the lower 863's. At least that was how it was explained to me when I bought mine.

I like it a little higher in the rear. I call it my Jeep trap. :)