• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

80 Series/LX450 Frequently Asked Questions

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
:welcome:

I wanted to start a section that is vehicle/model specific and includes some of the most frequently asked questions that are specific to the 80 series/LX450. This may help with trying to search for specific types of repairs or general questions. For example one of the most talked about issues for 80 series/LX450 LC's is emissions testing and how to get them to pass?

I am the current moderator for this thread so if you post something up I have to approve it before it can be visible by other individuals. Please don't take offense if you post something up and it is not approved.

The purpose of the thread is not to generate endless discussion and opinion posts but to create a one stop shop to viable information that is specific to frequently asked questions and problems while not having to spend a bunch of time searching for it. If you add something or post to this thread I may take that information and add it to a question or issue that has already been posted. I want to try and condense or consolidate all of the information into just handful of posts and not make this a page twenty page thread. If for some reason your post is not approved or is deleted I will respond back to you explaining why.

So if you know about a particular issue or issues that is discussed often please post up!

:cheers::robbie::kevin::risingsun

Last edited:

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Everything Emissions Testing!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
The definitive thread?

(By a moderator) - The correct answer on how to get a P0401 to disappear is throw some cash at Ben Ashcraft. He is the "Emissions Whisperer."

Last edited:

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Here is the link to Slee Offroads 80 Series newbie guide.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Thanks for starting this Ray. I know there is a similar thread over on Mud but IMHO, that thread has been severely diluted over the years. May the universe forgive my judgement but it really seems like so many responses involve answers like "maybe it's bad gas" and such. (that was for you @jps8460) And even the threads that still have meat to them with really juicy technical information, most of the pictures are gone as the threads are really old and the links just don't exist anymore.

Bottom line is, good job on getting this going. (y)

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Here's a thread on electrical starting issues. Potential problems with starters, ignition switches and other starting problems.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I am about to install 10% underdrive high range gears and 3:1 low range gears on my 96 tcase. Goal is to have finished for cruise moab.
20220407_194654.jpg
I was only going to do the low range set but @Stuckinthe80s brought up the underdrive high range idea as a cheaper alternative to axle gearing (due to needing r&p sets and lockers as my 80 isn't factory locked, will be installed at a future point). I am on a tight budget so I can only do the tcase gears and self-installation.

Question: any recommendations or tips for a DIYer?
Also break-in recommendations?

I am familiar with NP241c and NP205 tcases but this is my first time with a yota case. I plan on removing the complete unit from the truck to make gear install and internal clearancing easier. @jps8460 was nice enough to give me a heads up on new low range gear attachment bolts and using Toyota seal packing. YouTube videos seem like install is not complete rocket surgery, only issue is I don't own a press as I will have to get assistance from a friend with one.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
You’re welcome to bum my press and splitter. It’s not too bad.

Oneops

In for watching yours! I have the gears but my decided I need to do motor things. A lot of what I’ve read says it easier to pull it to do the install and to do the part time spool. I go back and forth on the part time. Leaning more on not atm.
What else are you replacing when ya install? And bearings or seals or what not for the while your in there’s.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Cleaning or replacement of 1FZ power steering reservoir filter
20221108_113710.jpg
has anyone had experience doing this? Either replacing the filter and gasket or Cleaning and reusing the old one? Does everyone just blast it with brake cleaner through the bottom and hope for the best? The interweb told me this is possible so I took it apart but I can't find a replacement filter or gasket and I am worried about getting a positive seal on the top. Obviously purchasing a new one is easy solution however my budget is currently more XJ than LX.
Help me friends

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Never heard of taking apart and cleaning, or replacement parts. They are pricey. I may know a guy with a stash to get you back on the road.

Pz10420

Trail Ready
Cleaning or replacement of 1FZ power steering reservoir filter
View attachment 109228has anyone had experience doing this? Either replacing the filter and gasket or Cleaning and reusing the old one? Does everyone just blast it with brake cleaner through the bottom and hope for the best? The interweb told me this is possible so I took it apart but I can't find a replacement filter or gasket and I am worried about getting a positive seal on the top. Obviously purchasing a new one is easy solution however my budget is currently more XJ than LX.
Help me friends
I've never done it but would probably just do like you said and blast it with brake clean and maybe put a small bead of rtv on when trying to reseal the lid.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
For perspective, the reservoir I pulled apart is my original unit and the reservoir currently in the truck is one I got from @Notyourmomslx450 that I thought I had thoroughly flushed out before installation. After dissection of my spare reservoir, I realized the way I was attempting to clean the filter screen without removal was ineffective and that it is technically very difficult to effectively clean the filter screen without removal of screen from reservoir.
20221108_143026.jpg
20221108_141920.jpg
this is after 2 cans of brake cleaner, some WD40 and PB blaster on the removed filter. Still looking kinda poopy but I don't own a parts washer. New complete reservoirs are available but since I have 2 I thought I would try.

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
You could weld a v band clamp maybe to the lid and housing possibly? Might make it easier to service. A 3 bolt universal exhaust flange would also work. Either method you could add exhaust pipe to and make a taller reservoir at the same time. Looks like the screen needs to be in a certain area so that might be an additional obstacle. Or put back together as is with a thin large diameter oring or some fipg and bend the tabs back. I think I put them in a solvent tank upside down typically. You could probably use a car wash pressure washer and hold the edge of the screen to the ground with your foot and blast it clean.

Last edited: