80 series front tow hooks

I just so happens that I saw an 80 in the parking lot of Home Depot this weekend and I noticed the "tow hooks" on the front underneath the stock bumper. I then got to thinking that I don't have them on my 80, d'oh!

So, not sure if I should have them being that it was stock when I bought it, I'm wondering if having tow hooks or some extraction point on the front of my 80 is necessary for participating in CM08? I didn't see this requirement in the pdf file, but I'm not sure if I may have missed it somewhere else.

So, do I need extraction points on the front of my truck to be a participant? If I do, I'm gonna have to call up slee and order a shortbus :)

Thanks in advance.

-Justin

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Justin, you should definitely get some of those. The "loops" are bolt-on, and are both excellent recovery points as well as protection (they slide along rocks really well). I'd suggesting putting them on all 4 corners, I think Slee sells them (have bought from him in the past) or I'm certain Oleg would have some down at Irbis, or anyone doing a part-out. Price should be $5-$10 used.

The requirements for CM is you have "some" recovery point both front and rear, and these would be great for that.

Thanks for the reply Nakman. I was surprised to not see them on my 80. I will be down at Slee friday getting my CC bushings pressed in and will ask about the "loops" that are bolt on. I really want a shortbus bumper, but cash is a little tight at the moment, and I don't want to have to deal with even more stinkbug than what I've got before CM!

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I have a set that I just pulled due to my new front bumper. I'll drop 'em in the mail for $20 if you want 'em. I was pretty much just holding onto them for the remote possibility of wheeling with an 80 that didn't have them :D

PM me if interested.

Nay, I may take you up on that. Pm en route.

So this may sound silly, but were tow hooks an option on the 80? If they weren't an option, which I find ridiculous, then the arse who owned the truck before me must have taken them all off.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I actually think the loops were only used for transport, used to secure them down to the boats & trucks, etc. It's just serindipitous that they're really strong and make excellent recovery points for us.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I actually think the loops were only used for transport, used to secure them down to the boats & trucks, etc. It's just serindipitous that they're really strong and make excellent recovery points for us.

x2

IIRC I've read that the loops were for just what Tim states as well as for when the 80 needs to be towed on a flat bed tow truck...Gotta have something to tie the beast down. I chose to put mine back on when I installed my ARB after reading that the ARB hoops aren't "really" meant to be tow hooks but rather lifting points for a high lift. Robbie told me the ARB points are ok for straight pulls but not side pulls as the tabs will likely bend. So the OEM loops are on there...Yeah, they negatively affect approach angle a little bit but they make great rock finders :D