80 Series center console build for Dometic fridge

RiNoFAB

New-ish
I've started designing an 80 series center console for housing the Dometic fridge that bolts in to the OEM center console mounts. I've designed it so that the rear seats can fold down still while it's installed so you don't lose that ability.

I'm pretty far along the process, getting the dimensions right, the mounting points lined up, and tweaking it as it progresses.

Currently, I have it setup for front and rear interchangeable panels (switches, phone holder, cb housing, etc), a driver side access panel to allow wiring/speaker sound from an under mounted CB, and have added vent holes which will have a 3D printed insert for the intake and exhaust fans.

This is the rough prototype I'm working on currently, which is all hand cut with the plasma torch and angle grinder, however the final product will be CNC cut, TIG welded, and will have the option to be powder coated.

The edging around the top will have a metal edge guard once finished.

It's currently not symmetrical on the front as I was messing with the angles to give more room for the parking brake, however I'll be changing the front to have the angles match closer once I redo the 3D model.

Love to hear thoughts and opinions, suggestions from anyone. Is this something that would interest some of you guys if I make a batch once I refine it?

23158C27-1FF0-4D85-835B-05618853E121.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C6A2B32-0DFA-4C6F-8CD8-9995EF93CA4F.jpeg
    0C6A2B32-0DFA-4C6F-8CD8-9995EF93CA4F.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 392CE5A2-43EA-4BB8-807F-6BCF48BCC051.jpeg
    392CE5A2-43EA-4BB8-807F-6BCF48BCC051.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 405
  • 552BCA87-389D-4BE2-AE02-DF5F286681DD.jpeg
    552BCA87-389D-4BE2-AE02-DF5F286681DD.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 385
  • ECFCB527-38F2-4468-9771-936B8CEDCC44.jpeg
    ECFCB527-38F2-4468-9771-936B8CEDCC44.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 366
  • D54E1817-B83D-48DD-A146-F7A3B1B7B015.jpeg
    D54E1817-B83D-48DD-A146-F7A3B1B7B015.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 71310E34-8A3D-47D2-A554-98A0CE019AE7.jpeg
    71310E34-8A3D-47D2-A554-98A0CE019AE7.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 386
  • 866270D1-BA51-424D-BB73-E99EEC3E3B77.jpeg
    866270D1-BA51-424D-BB73-E99EEC3E3B77.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 489
  • 8C297529-E0F4-4573-8775-4AA26954EF05.jpeg
    8C297529-E0F4-4573-8775-4AA26954EF05.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 501

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Under mounted CB? What are we in the 80's? Can't wait to get the ham in there (prototype is mine)!

Looks great, man!

To be clear to others, his goal is to make other modular items, like lock boxes that would mount into the same area as the fridge.

RiNoFAB

New-ish
Under mounted CB? What are we in the 80's? Can't wait to get the ham in there (prototype is mine)!

Looks great, man!

To be clear to others, his goal is to make other modular items, like lock boxes that would mount into the same area as the fridge.
Yep - this one is being built for Jim, Satchel's 80. The first prototype is for the fridge and once I have that finished, I'll be adding additional storage options that replace the fridge and mounts directly onto the main base. I know there will be a standard lockbox, and I'm considering the other options that will be available.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that's really cool! I would suggest making the panel openings as universal as possible... you can get some pretty decent switch panels for $30 on amazon that usually meet all the needs. (search Nilight). Would be neat to have a bunch of light controls in front, like Switchpro, or an Auxbeam knockoff, etc.

And for venting I would probably go with something off the shelf also and not mess with 3D printing, shoot you can get some nice stainless panels for like $6 each, you're not going to 3D print anything decent for that. Then you could powder coat them to match. Unless you had some funky geometry to cover up with a vent but if it's just a flat surface take a look at the metal ones. I kinda dig that fridge... maybe I should upgrade the Tuffy in the 60. :unsure:

RiNoFAB

New-ish
that's really cool! I would suggest making the panel openings as universal as possible... you can get some pretty decent switch panels for $30 on amazon that usually meet all the needs. (search Nilight). Would be neat to have a bunch of light controls in front, like Switchpro, or an Auxbeam knockoff, etc.

And for venting I would probably go with something off the shelf also and not mess with 3D printing, shoot you can get some nice stainless panels for like $6 each, you're not going to 3D print anything decent for that. Then you could powder coat them to match. Unless you had some funky geometry to cover up with a vent but if it's just a flat surface take a look at the metal ones. I kinda dig that fridge... maybe I should upgrade the Tuffy in the 60. :unsure:
Thanks for the input. Yes, the idea would be to make it very user friendly in options available, and ease of putting in your own switches/inserts if you wanted something else. Another option I could always do would just be to have the vent screens CNC cut out when the panels are cut out. Main idea behind the 3D printed panels is customization if anyone wanted the option. I.E. - different color, a logo/design, louvers vs flat, LED illumination, etc. I have access to a 3D printer and wanted to mess with it what can I say. I'll compare the costs!!

satchel

Rising Sun Member

Speaking of 60, Preston is going to make a similar base for my 62 so I can move the fridge or whatever console that fits in the base between the 62/80.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Love the Fireball square / part-holder-upper :LOL:

jorgepilot

Brand New
I've started designing an 80 series center console for housing the Dometic fridge that bolts in to the OEM center console mounts. I've designed it so that the rear seats can fold down still while it's installed so you don't lose that ability.

I'm pretty far along the process, getting the dimensions right, the mounting points lined up, and tweaking it as it progresses.

Currently, I have it setup for front and rear interchangeable panels (switches, phone holder, cb housing, etc), a driver side access panel to allow wiring/speaker sound from an under mounted CB, and have added vent holes which will have a 3D printed insert for the intake and exhaust fans.

This is the rough prototype I'm working on currently, which is all hand cut with the plasma torch and angle grinder, however the final product will be CNC cut, TIG welded, and will have the option to be powder coated.

The edging around the top will have a metal edge guard once finished.

It's currently not symmetrical on the front as I was messing with the angles to give more room for the parking brake, however I'll be changing the front to have the angles match closer once I redo the 3D model.

Love to hear thoughts and opinions, suggestions from anyone. Is this something that would interest some of you guys if I make a batch once I refine it?

View attachment 95081
This is very Cool! I just bought my dometic and I’m interested in this center console. Would you DM the price? Thanks a lot

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hmmm. Looks like @RiNoFAB hasn't visited the forum in about 6 months. Love to see an update on this!

satchel

Rising Sun Member
He took a job at a welding fab place doing a myriad of projects to stay busy, but I know he was still messing around with this last we talked. I'll ping him again and direct him here.

jorgepilot

Brand New
He took a job at a welding fab place doing a myriad of projects to stay busy, but I know he was still messing around with this last we talked. I'll ping him again and direct him here.
Thank you so much. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻