• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

80 series brake options

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Time for rotors and pads.

Anyone using a aftermarket solution that works better than the OEM set up?

What are you using?

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
My buddy @rightlane80 picked up some vented PowerStop rotors and PowerStop pads from Rock Auto, he's been happy with them.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I'm pretty happy with the Yellowstuff pads, a bit dusty but they do stop well. I don't think the rotors much matter.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I use the 100 series pads in the front. If you're getting new rotors at the same time, you'll need to leave out the shims to get them to fit. This doesn't give you more braking power, but you'll stop eating through brake pads.

ColoradoMntMan

Rising Sun Member

if you have money just falling out of your pocket....

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
I use the 100 series pads in the front. If you're getting new rotors at the same time, you'll need to leave out the shims to get them to fit. This doesn't give you more braking power, but you'll stop eating through brake pads.

This is what I have currently and it works ok, I want to stop better...I like what Bruce is saying!

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+

if you have money just falling out of your pocket....

That’s not happening.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I actually took out the100 pads and rotors that were on my 80. The reason was an intermittent vibration. The rotors were DBA slotted and measured very low runout. Once I actually got the 100 pads removed, I found a pretty significant lip on the pad where it hangs over the rotor. I should have tried cutting the lip off to see if that was the source of the vibration but I dove into the replacement without doing the test. The new rotors are plain ol' Brembos with the Yellowstuff pads.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I actually took out the100 pads and rotors that were on my 80. The reason was an intermittent vibration. The rotors were DBA slotted and measured very low runout. Once I actually got the 100 pads removed, I found a pretty significant lip on the pad where it hangs over the rotor. I should have tried cutting the lip off to see if that was the source of the vibration but I dove into the replacement without doing the test. The new rotors are plain ol' Brembos with the Yellowstuff pads.
iirc that is part of the process of installing those 100 series pads, you have to grid off the inner rim area of the pad. If you don't then that part won't wear and it'll be hell trying to remove them again, as the pad will have wrapped around the inside of the rotor. I'm not sure that leads to vibration though, I bet it had more to do with those DBA's.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
iirc that is part of the process of installing those 100 series pads, you have to grid off the inner rim area of the pad. If you don't then that part won't wear and it'll be hell trying to remove them again, as the pad will have wrapped around the inside of the rotor. I'm not sure that leads to vibration though, I bet it had more to do with those DBA's.
You no like the DBA's?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You no like the DBA's?
I liked them ok, but in hindsight I wished I would have just got the slotted ones, not the slotted & drilled. I can remember drilling out what seemed to be 6 oz. of Kane Creek out of each one of them one year, then thinking how the ability to store sand inside a rotor just can't be a good thing. Possible it leads to an imbalance situation, more possible it lets dirt out which then gets stuck in the pads and grooves the rotor... I don't think a drilled rotor is good for a truck that likes to run through muddy water, that's all.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
DBA T2 rotors, 100 series pads in the front, ABS+LSPV deleted is enough to not leave a star fish in the seat when you need to stop.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+

Hey Bruce, any chance you have part numbers? Fronts and rears?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I do regular Brembo rotors in everything and pads depending on use. I have liked the yellow stuff pads also. They do wear fast and make a lot of dust but they stop well cold and resist fade well.

buy the rotors from a reputable place there are counterfeit parts out there for sure.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
The EBC yellowstuff pads are DP4993R (front) and DP4992R (rear). Not sure on the rotor numbers, I just replaced the front as the rear were still well in spec.

Last edited:

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
Their is a upgrade now of installing 5th gen 4runner front brakes. You have to machine the hub to do it. After that you can just slap on the 5th gen brakes. They are bigger.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
I'm running some Hawk LTS pads in the front w/ the stock rotors. Made a tremendous difference in brake torque gain. They're not too grippy when they're cold, but after about 5 min of normal driving the braking is great. There is more dust than the OE type pads.

I'd definitely try some higher performance compound pads.