• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

80 ---> 08

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That was a slo-o-ow roll.

Her mistake was stopping at the extreme tippy point. If she's kept moving forward, the 80 would have settled back down.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
That was a slo-o-ow roll.

Her mistake was stopping at the extreme tippy point. If she's kept moving forward, the 80 would have settled back down.

There is a old rule "when in doubt, throttle out", While I know this isn't always what you should do, it seems to be what would have worked at this point. Also how many chicks can say they rolled a vehicle off road. 2021 needs more chicks rolling 4x4's and less of everything else. I suppose it is sad there is going to be one less 80 on the earth.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It didn't complete the roll. So even though it's on its lid.... I consider this a flop. ;)

I completely agree w/ @Hulk on this. Momentum stopped and the Cruiser didn't want to. Throttle out!

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Maybe putting the LF wheel on a large rock helped cause this?

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Maybe putting the LF wheel on a large rock helped cause this?
She hit the brakes and basically brought the momentum of energy to the passenger side of the vehicle. It would have been interesting to have different angles at different points to see what could have been possible. Throttling out and moving the tires passenger would have naturally moved the energy of the vehicle back to the other side.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
One issue I see that could have led to the flop is the yellow XJ was following too closely, and it almost looked like he was trying to pass the 80. The 80 driver may have been distracted as a result and hit the brakes thinking the XJ was trying to pass or come alongside her. There was a cluster of 3 quickly moving vehicles very close together on technical terrain which is never a good idea, and the yellow XJ wouldn't have been hit if he was following at a safe distance. It appears if the 80 driver hit the gas and steered to the right into the tippy direction and if the yellow XJ had kept moving at the pace he was, a collision could have happened either way. Of course it also appears if the XJ didn't get hit, the 80 would have potentially kept rolling which would have been worse.

No matter how you look at it, there is a lot to learn from watching this closely. @AimCOTaco maybe it could be fun to get a couple videos like this one and share during our monthly Zoom meeting and break it down frame by frame and discuss what happened/how it could have been avoided.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
No matter how you look at it, there is a lot to learn from watching this closely. @AimCOTaco maybe it could be fun to get a couple videos like this one and share during our monthly Zoom meeting and break it down frame by frame and discuss what happened/how it could have been avoided.

I really like this idea. @Rzeppa was recently talking about the club has been super focused on recovery skills and not focused enough on DRIVING skills. This would be an excellent start to begin talking about driving skills.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Driving skills are best learned in the driver seat. A class is good, but not much teaches you better than being in the situation.
here's a perfect "pin it to win it" situation i was in one fine day.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Driving skills are best learned in the driver seat. A class is good, but not much teaches you better than being in the situation.
Holy Shirt, dude!!! Nicely done.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So where do you start with driving skills..? What’s the first thing to actually cover?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

Dude, that's you? wow! :eek: sweet save! what trail is that?

As for the 80, what about leaving the swaybars attached... I know you get a little less flex, but then again you get a little less flex.

As for driving skill topics, sweet idea. Actually one of the reasons I have a few RC crawlers is to pull them out at events & runs to talk about recovery, lines, etc. It's kinda the same deal, just smaller, but when you flop it's a little less dramatic you just have to reset the truck then hand the controller to the next guy.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Dude, that's you? wow! :eek: sweet save! what trail is that?

Yep, that's me and my old crawler before I bought the 80. The trail is called Short Bus it's at an off-road park in Texas called K2 (Katemcy 2). This was during the Lone Star Land Cruiser Roundup

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I’m loving this idea. Is there enough money in the cophers to buy a club shit box that could be used to actually walk people through these situations? You know, let them feel it?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
There was a guy nicknamed "Capt. Crunch" who used to bring a wrinkled old Toyota 4Runner (or maybe it was a truck) to Cruise Moab in the early years. He was fearless because he never worried about body damage. His rig had clearly been rolled multiple times.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m loving this idea. Is there enough money in the cophers to buy a club shit box that could be used to actually walk people through these situations? You know, let them feel it?
I support this idea to the fullest extent

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
One issue I see that could have led to the flop is the yellow XJ was following too closely, and it almost looked like he was trying to pass the 80. The 80 driver may have been distracted as a result and hit the brakes thinking the XJ was trying to pass or come alongside her. There was a cluster of 3 quickly moving vehicles very close together on technical terrain which is never a good idea, and the yellow XJ wouldn't have been hit if he was following at a safe distance. It appears if the 80 driver hit the gas and steered to the right into the tippy direction and if the yellow XJ had kept moving at the pace he was, a collision could have happened either way. Of course it also appears if the XJ didn't get hit, the 80 would have potentially kept rolling which would have been worse.

This video could also yield some good discussion...

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
WOW on that last video. Where in the hell is these guys chains? Would of made life so much easier. And that clay type mud they are referring to
is terrible, and chains would help if they needed traction in that stuff. Fun stuff to watch, glad to see no one was hurt.