• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

73FJ40 idling/power issue

semmy73fj40

New-ish
New to forum, thanks in advance. I have an idling power issue with FJ that happened out of nowhere. Any thoughts? Checked air filter and all connectors. Sprayed starting fluid where i was told and the engine died.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Clean your fuel filter. A dirty, partially clogged fuel filter can be the source of all sorts of weird symptoms.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Can you give a little more detail? Where were you told to spray? Does it cut out at idle or serge? Any difference when it's hot or cold?

semmy73fj40

New-ish
sprayed on engine block where exhaust system is attached to engine (not the spark plug side) i am so not mechanically inclined. sent pics to max at 4x4. fuel filter is new as of 2021, but she has been sitting for 3 years with occasional drives around the neighborhood.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Look at your vacuum lines for any cracks or breaks. It's easy to do a quick inspection.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
If the carb has an idle solenoid (connected by a single wire to the chassis harness) be sure that circuit is working.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like Vacuum leak(s)

They are common around intake and is consistent with your findings of change in idle/running when sprayed with flammable or non flammable liquid

Try to check torque of the studs/nuts that mount the mated intake/exhaust to the head.

Once all the vacuum trouble is found (as evidenced by a steady reading in the ~mid teens on the low end of vacuum on a vacuum gauge then you can tune the carb accurately and set the timing

Also check the nuts that hold the carb down to the intake but don’t over tighten..the studs can pull out of the softer aluminum intake manifold

semmy73fj40

New-ish
Thanks everyone for the useful angles. I had a mechanic come out and he believes it has something to do with the misfiring of the spark plugs. I will most certainly follow up with any solutions he comes up. Thanks again for your suggestions. (he strongly urged me to take the for sale sign off, and is contemplating an offer on the FJ:)

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
(he strongly urged me to take the for sale sign off, and is contemplating an offer on the FJ
Hold on...You're selling it and haven't posted on the forum? Are you putting an offer in on the FJ Cruiser, or are you calling the 40 an FJ? Let's see some pictures or something! We love pictures.

semmy73fj40

New-ish
Asking 40k (what i put into it at Redline and HC4x4)

Attachments

• 73FJBack.jpg
    73FJBack.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 73FJFront.jpg
    73FJFront.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 27

semmy73fj40

New-ish
After further inspection, the spark plugs were blackened by the carb being too rich. Mechanic slimmed down the gas mixture and the FJ runs better. BArely driven the thing after a ton of carb work at redline.....my bad!