60 series front axle service questions

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I was reading through Morgan's writeup for a front axle service, and going off my experience from when I did my front axle, with the understanding that you can unbolt the brake line from the backing plate so you can just move the caliper over onto the spring pack when you're doing this. But I was looking at Gary's FJ60 and here's what is there: the hardline runs along the axle tube and then transitions to a flexible line that runs up to the top of the backing plate. It hits a 90 degree union that has two connections to the backing plate: one is a welded nut/bolt and the other is a rivet. From this 90 degree union it runs as a hardline over to the caliper.

Question: Why would one connection be a welded nut/bolt and the other a rivet? That rivet makes it so you can't just remove the brakes from the backing plate and set it aside, so we had to remove the brake lines.

Am I missing something? On mine it just unbolted and you were done. And on this one it got cross-threaded when we were trying to put it back together, so now after doing the whole front axle service one little 10mm connection is all that's keeping him from driving it. :mad:

We decided that next time he would just drill out the rivet, weld in a nut like the other one and make it a bolted connection. Cause seriously this was dumb.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
My 83 FJ60 is rivited. My 78 is bolted.

Call Marlin and see if he sells these. If not, you can cut yours down and eliminate them completely. The brake line that threads directly into the caliper is also available.

http://www.trail-gear.com/backing-plate-elim.html

wesintl

RS Moderator
usually you can stretch the backing plate over the end of the stub with the brake line attached. I've done it that way on my 60 when I had it and my 70. It's not that big a deal.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i just ground the rivet off. never been an issue.

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
I thought there was a flexible hose that eliminates the hard line at the backing plate.

Anyone have the p/n?

there's a couple. I have one on my bench at home. I'll try to remember to see what the partnumber is and post up this weekend. woody also has a pn posted on mud tech links but I think it's tough to find stocked.