60 Series Buying Advice

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
Quick question for you 60 series experts!

We found a super clean zero rust ‘87 HJ60 I want to buy (2H). The truck has 240K miles but the entire truck, including the engine, is a frame off restoration. Everything is stock 60 except for the brake booster. It runs and drives exceptionally smooth. Interior is in great shape. My understanding is that the preferred motor is a 12HT. My question is: Is the 2H still a decent engine? Note that the plan is to just drive it locally and I probably won’t wheel it too hard.

The best equivalent comparison I can think of in regards to desirability is the 80 series 3FE vs 1FZ (I don't think I would ever buy a 3FE) Or is it more like a 1FZ vs 1FZ with a Supercharger?

@Hulk I think you used to have a 60. Any thoughts? - R

Attachments

• IMG_4913.JPG
    IMG_4913.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 632
  • IMG_4897.JPG
    IMG_4897.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 326

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
2h is a great engine, it just doesn't have as much power as the 12HT. You'll notice it even worse at altitude because the turbo means you don't lose even more power as you go up in the hills. But if taken care of, it will last forever & give you better mileage than any gas engine. Who imported the truck & where from? It looks like a LHD high roof 60, so I'm guessing the EU. LHD high roof diesel 60's rock. If the price is good & it runs well, go for it!

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
2h is a great engine, it just doesn't have as much power as the 12HT. You'll notice it even worse at altitude because the turbo means you don't lose even more power as you go up in the hills. But if taken care of, it will last forever & give you better mileage than any gas engine. Who imported the truck & where from? It looks like a LHD high roof 60, so I'm guessing the EU. LHD high roof diesel 60's rock. If the price is good & it runs well, go for it!
OK! That’s great insight and advice. Currently negotiating and should be sorted by tomorrow. It’s a SA truck. Price is amazing. I’ll keep the thread updated! - R

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have no advice on buying a 60-series (other than "yes, you should definitely buy that 60"), but I would like to solicit advice on how to convince my wife I need another Toyota over a bathroom remodel. :rant:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Beautiful high top!

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
OK! That’s great insight and advice. Currently negotiating and should be sorted by tomorrow. It’s a SA truck. Price is amazing. I’ll keep the thread updated! - R

If it’s a South American truck, inspect the “f” out of it before you commit. There are great trucks coming out of there, but a lot of ripoffs too. Do they have pics of all parts of the resto?

nsfw

Rock Stacker
I have no advice on buying a 60-series (other than "yes, you should definitely buy that 60"), but I would like to solicit advice on how to convince my wife I need another Toyota over a bathroom remodel. :rant:
Tell her you have decided on a bathroom remodel. But if she insists, you would consider another Toyota.

Attachments

• 951DAE40-5201-4E9D-8B26-0F460BA53209.jpeg
    951DAE40-5201-4E9D-8B26-0F460BA53209.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 190

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
If it’s a South American truck, inspect the “f” out of it before you commit. There are great trucks coming out of there, but a lot of ripoffs too. Do they have pics of all parts of the resto?
Absolutely! Thanks for that heads up! We have a reliable contact down there who has been exporting 70s for Fit Garage, Land Cruiser Shop and others. He's been making a big push to export turbo 80s because they are dime a dozen down there. I casually asked him about finding us a rust free 60 thinking "good luck" and a week later he hit me up with this. He said he's never seen a 60 in this good of shape down there before. No rust, No frame or body damage and all of the serial numbers match up. Finished the resortation a year ago and has been a DD. Engine and undercarriage is as dry as it can be. It's going in for quick inspection at his shop tomorrow. I'm not expecting anything suprising but fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited:

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Absolutely! Thanks for that heads up! We have a reliable contact down there who has been exporting 70s for Fit Garage, Land Cruiser Shop and others. He's been making a big push to export turbo 80s because they are dime a dozen down there. I casually asked him about finding us a rust free 60 thinking "good luck" and a week later he hit me up with this. He said he's never seen a 60 in this good of shape down there before. No rust, No frame or body damage and all of the serial numbers match up. Finished the resortation a year ago and was a DD. Engine and undercarriage is as dry as it can be. It's going in for deep inspection at his shop tomorrow. I'm not expecting anything suprising but fingers crossed 🤞

Sounds perfect!

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
Hi fellas! Things are moving quick and final shop inspection on the HJ60 is Monday. I’ve only ever had an 80 and I’m curious if there is anything specific I should inspect on the 60. Anything with the 2H engine? Drum brakes or brake boosters? Transmission? Typical corrosion areas?

It will be going to a proper mechanic and our buying agent owns a body shop so it’s going to get a thorough look through. However I would feel best giving them some detailed guidance just to make sure cover all the bases.

Essentially I’m just looking to make one last checklist with the help of you 60 experts in the club. Things I should specifically get answers on.

Lastly, please let me know if you know of any potential Colorado smog testing pitfalls I might run into with the ‘87 diesel.

Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Thanks! - R

5BDDA4E6-F256-4C37-955B-0FCDA64E17F7.jpeg7439B31C-A721-4243-8A0F-5C69CACBCF38.jpegDF94FDA5-67FA-4BE2-86CB-8C15BCB03062.jpeg93ACB643-EAC1-4289-8381-BC61066F6CC8.jpeg8602DF91-1C5B-4192-8A13-532DF1F3F08F.jpegF12005D1-9E58-47B1-8D93-E7FE7D0CE78A.jpegFC224701-3F1E-4285-BF13-8C503DBCA5D7.jpeg

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
It looks nice and your description sounds good with all that has been done. They new paint scares me. Probably hiding some body filler in the usual places. What is the asking price in USA dollars? Personally, there's no way I would buy something like that without inspecting and driving it myself. Then if it was a turd, there is no one to blame but myself. 😋 If its cheap in comparrison to solid usa examples, might be worth the risk, especially if you really want a diesel.

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
It looks nice and your description sounds good with all that has been done. They new paint scares me. Probably hiding some body filler in the usual places. What is the asking price in USA dollars? Personally, there's no way I would buy something like that without inspecting and driving it myself. Then if it was a turd, there is no one to blame but myself. 😋 If its cheap in comparrison to solid usa examples, might be worth the risk, especially if you really want a diesel.
Awesome advice! Thanks for the insight! I get that about driving it first hand, it’s waaaaaay too far away 😳 The new paint def freaks me out, but the body shop is going to do a deep inspection of corrosion and body filler. So we’ll see what they come up with 😅 What are the “usual places” for rust on these 60s? Seems like panel behind the rear wheel is always toast...

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, rear wheel wells, rear quarters, roof, a pillars, rockers, front floors, rear tailgate and hatch, door bottoms, frame, there are a lot of places to look.

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, rear wheel wells, rear quarters, roof, a pillars, rockers, front floors, rear tailgate and hatch, door bottoms, frame, there are a lot of places to look.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Sounds like the steering wheel and cigarette lighter are pretty much the only places not to worry about :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for all of that!! I'll speak to my buddy tomorrow and we'll make a plan on how he can dig through all of that as much as he possible can at his body shop.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Like Martin said, bodywork could potentially mean paint hiding rust or bondo or both. I would want to get a compression check of the engine too. 2H should be a good engine, some have turbo’d though I think you have to be a little careful. See Tapage and “Tencha” on IH8MUD.

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
Like Martin said, bodywork could potentially mean paint hiding rust or bondo or both. I would want to get a compression check of the engine too. 2H should be a good engine, some have turbo’d though I think you have to be a little careful. See Tapage and “Tencha” on IH8MUD.
Noted on the compression check. It’s an option so I will opt for it. My friend has driven it and likes the power but I agree that it would be best to know the numbers.

Searching mud now for “Tencha” 💪

Thank you !!!!!

subzali

Hard Core 4+

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
It’s such a great thread... Two things I’ve learned from it so far 1. I should def have them check for evidence that a Turbo has ever been installed and 2. I now know that I can a Turbo that engine 😳

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Keep doing research, you do have to be careful, but man it sounds so good:

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
The underside of the A pillars can tell a lot - is there minor bubbling, or bigtime rust? The rain gutters and metal just above the gutters (same place FJ55s rust out) should be carefully examined for filler and repairs.