• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

4Runner wheel bearing replacement

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We need to replace the wheel bearing on the front passenger side of my son's 2011 4Runner. I'm wondering if it's worth the money to buy the whole hub assembly with the bearings and seals pressed in. It's $239 for a single side, but it looks like the bearing alone will cost $158 from Stevinson at a discount, plus a seal and an o-ring. Anyone have any experience with this?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
No experience, but I’d think it would be easier to do the entire assembly.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It's easier and cheaper to buy a whole assembly from someone. It's a bit tricky to press the assembly together correctly so the mechanics who specialize usually have come up with custom tooling to support the bearing to do it quickly.

I got my last set from a guy who used to be on TacomaWorld under the user @BamaToy1997 but his actual business is called Marion Bumper2Bumper. He's taken a break from doing them because of part supplier back orders.

He used OEM parts (seals, bearings, etc.) installed on the Dorman hubs. The stock Toyota hubs themselves are fairly expensive and most seem to feel Dorman is an acceptable substitution. For everything else make sure they're using OEM or equivalent (aftermarket Koyo bearings for example are fine) parts.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Matt, there are a couple of videos on You Tube. Lifestyle Overland and I think the other one is Wonderlust Overland. They both say to use the replacement assembly. much easier.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
What ever you do, do not use the Chinese bearing sets out there. Buy only Nachi, or Koyo (which Have only seen as bearing you replace).
I use to watch the shop next door do the easy thing on these bearing and use the Chinese stuff, and end up having the vehicle return with in a
year. Becarefull.