Wanted 4Runner V8, 100 series

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

Docwyte

Wincher
Looking either a V8 4Runner or a 100 series. Want a clean one with under 150k miles, no rust, good maintenance history. Don’t really need it for off roading, so an extensively built rig isn’t really what I’m after.

LMK if you have something…

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I think the problem might have mostly to do with mileage. A vehicle from that era with less than 150k will be hard to find.

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Yea I have a V8 4th gen we're probably going to part with but it has 225k on it.

Pz10420

Trail Ready
I think the problem might have mostly to do with mileage. A vehicle from that era with less than 150k will be hard to find.
What he said. Mileage is not a worry with the 2uz if it has good maintenance history. My 98 100 has 350k miles and still runs like a top and the oil looks new after 5k miles before I change it. Find a clean, rust free one with good maintenance and don't let the miles scare you.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Yes a little high priced, I bought a 04 V8 four and a half years ago with 250K on it and it still runs great and burns no oil. It also was very well taken care of. I’d drive it across the country if I had to. And paid less than a third of that price.

60ranchero

Rock Stacker
Yes a little high priced, I bought a 04 V8 four and a half years ago with 250K on it and it still runs great and burns no oil. It also was very well taken care of. I’d drive it across the country if I had to. And paid less than a third of that price.
The price of used cars are up since the pandemic, but are slowly coming down. I was looking for a newer truck to replace my 2000 Tundra but gave up due to high prices of used trucks. Even after 100k miles, my Tundra is worth what I paid for it 15 years ago. Crazy!

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I personally like the sounds of this one; unless you are specifically looking for a newer one with vvti and a 5 spd.

I have worked on a dozen + 2UZ vehicles and really enjoy that motor. The 100's have some idiosyncrasies when it comes to maintenance that even a lot of shops get wrong, like front wheel bearing pretension, a brake system that is often fully replaced instead of rebuilt for a fraction of the cost, torsion bar indexing creating poor ride quality, and my favorite - replacing windshields with screws instead of rivets creating rust problems!

If you spy one up here in Loveland/Fort Collins, I'm happy to look it over for you. I knew I was going to really miss mine when we sold it. And I do.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
yeah you just cannot trust "free" carfaxes especially from private sellers and small "buy here pay here" dealers...very easy to fake or spoof them nowadays apparently

Docwyte

Wincher
yeah you just cannot trust "free" carfaxes especially from private sellers and small "buy here pay here" dealers...very easy to fake or spoof them nowadays apparently
This wasn’t a free carfax. Owner is straight up mis representing the car. I ran a carfax and found out the mileage discrepancy, brought it to his attention, etc